+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice Needed: PR Application Delay and Child’s Passport Issue

mentat

Feb 3, 2023
Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding a complicated situation I'm currently facing. I applied for Permanent Residency through Express Entry in February 2023 and am still waiting for a decision. I didn't anticipate the process would take this long.

To add to the complexity, my child's passport has expired, and he has now lost his status here. Unfortunately, the only way to renew his passport is to return to our native country with him, get a new passport there, and wait for a new visa, which would take at least 80 days.

Given the long wait times and our current situation, I'm unsure how to proceed. Has anyone faced a similar situation or have any advice on what steps we should take?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I need some advice regarding a complicated situation I'm currently facing. I applied for Permanent Residency through Express Entry in February 2023 and am still waiting for a decision. I didn't anticipate the process would take this long.

To add to the complexity, my child's passport has expired, and he has now lost his status here. Unfortunately, the only way to renew his passport is to return to our native country with him, get a new passport there, and wait for a new visa, which would take at least 80 days.

Given the long wait times and our current situation, I'm unsure how to proceed. Has anyone faced a similar situation or have any advice on what steps we should take?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Have the non-primary applicant parent leave Canada with the child to obtain a valid passport. Apply for a new TRV or study permit if over 4. Did the child overstay their stay in Canada or have you been extending their status? What is your status in Canada and when does it expire?

mentat

Feb 3, 2023
Have the non-primary applicant parent leave Canada with the child to obtain a valid passport. Apply for a new TRV or study permit if over 4. Did the child overstay their stay in Canada or have you been extending their status? What is your status in Canada and when does it expire?
To answer your questions:

1. Have the non-primary applicant parent leave Canada with the child to obtain a valid passport. Apply for a new TRV or study permit if over 4.
• Currently, no one in our family is planning to leave Canada. We are trying to explore all possible options while remaining here.
2. Did the child overstay their stay in Canada or have you been extending their status?
• Unfortunately, my son’s Visitor Record expired on the 7th of July 2024. We were unable to extend it before it expired.
3. What is your status in Canada and when does it expire?
• Both my wife and I are on work permits. Our work permits are still valid and have not expired. Expiration date July 2025.

Additionally, my son doesn’t have a valid passport at the moment, which complicates applying for a new TRV or any other status from within Canada.

Given the situation, we are looking for the best course of action to resolve my son’s status issue without having to leave Canada. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
To answer your questions:

1. Have the non-primary applicant parent leave Canada with the child to obtain a valid passport. Apply for a new TRV or study permit if over 4.
• Currently, no one in our family is planning to leave Canada. We are trying to explore all possible options while remaining here.
2. Did the child overstay their stay in Canada or have you been extending their status?
• Unfortunately, my son’s Visitor Record expired on the 7th of July 2024. We were unable to extend it before it expired.
3. What is your status in Canada and when does it expire?
• Both my wife and I are on work permits. Our work permits are still valid and have not expired. Expiration date July 2025.

Additionally, my son doesn’t have a valid passport at the moment, which complicates applying for a new TRV or any other status from within Canada.

Given the situation, we are looking for the best course of action to resolve my son’s status issue without having to leave Canada. Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
You need to be speaking to your home country embassy to see what your options are. If you have not other option but returning you have to return and get an emergency travel document for your child. You need to apply to restore your child’s status but without a valid passport that may not be possible.

mentat

Feb 3, 2023
You need to be speaking to your home country embassy to see what your options are. If you have not other option but returning you have to return and get an emergency travel document for your child. You need to apply to restore your child’s status but without a valid passport that may not be possible.
Would staying and waiting for the PR status be a viable option in this situation, considering my son’s expired Visitor Record and lack of a valid passport? Are there any other steps we should consider to resolve this issue without having to leave the country?
Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would staying and waiting for the PR status be a viable option in this situation, considering my son’s expired Visitor Record and lack of a valid passport? Are there any other steps we should consider to resolve this issue without having to leave the country?
Thank you
The valid passport issue is going to keep being a problem that needs to be resolved. Your child will also need an emergency travel document just to leave Canada.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you
If you home country can issue a passport for your child while he stays in Canada, that would be an option. If they are not able to do that, your child NEEDS a valid passport to land as PR.

Reactions: canuck78