+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice for wife And I on which route to go

nickbroken

Mar 10, 2019
Hey all, I hope all is well. Sorry if I going to ask some questions that has been answered ad nauseum, but as I said in the title I need some advice.
I married my wife in December of 2018 and have known eachother for 4 years I am a Canadian citizen, she is a citizen of the Philippines. She is here currently on a student for Personal Support Worker which is a one year course. Her visa is up in August, but she is planning on filing a PGWP extension after she graduates. We are currently about to apply for spousal visa, but I am wondering if we should do inland or outland. She also has told me about some option for an Atlantic immigration pilot program that she considered pursing as she has friends that work for a company in Halifax that are recruiting PSWs. I'd appreciate any advice you çould give about which route we should go. I love my wife I don't want to be without her and would rather her not have to go to the Philippines while waiting on a spousal. Thank you all and I hope all is well in your world.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

andybc

Star Member
Jul 20, 2018
If she knows she does not have any commitments during the next year or so that would force her to leave Canada:

Do inland spousal sponsorship. Gather your documents as soon as possible (specifically stuff like police clearance and birth certificate). About 3-4 months after sending the application she will get an open work permit and she won't even need the PGWP (if you can manage to submit the application within the next 4-6 weeks).

Edit: Note on the open work permit. This is only possible for inland apps. You will need to fill out an extra form and send it alongside the sponsorship application as one package. Note that the fees for the OWP are 255 CAD, which a lot of people get wrong.

Reactions: nickbroken

nickbroken

Mar 10, 2019
If she knows she does not have any commitments during the next year or so that would force her to leave Canada:

Do inland spousal sponsorship. Gather your documents as soon as possible (specifically stuff like police clearance and birth certificate). About 3-4 months after sending the application she will get an open work permit and she won't even need the PGWP (if you can manage to submit the application within the next 4-6 weeks).
Thank you very much, no she doesn't have to go anywhere, but her student visa is up in August that is why she was filing for the PGWP after her school ends in April. We are going to Toronto this Tuesday for some papers at the Philippines embassy and doing the police stuff then. We were planning on filing in the next week or two because we want to get it going asap. Do we reauest an open work permit or does it automatically come? Thank you very much for your time.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
Thank you very much, no she doesn't have to go anywhere, but her student visa is up in August that is why she was filing for the PGWP after her school ends in April. We are going to Toronto this Tuesday for some papers at the Philippines embassy and doing the police stuff then. We were planning on filing in the next week or two because we want to get it going asap. Do we reauest an open work permit or does it automatically come? Thank you very much for your time.
See andybc's edit above. You have to apply for an OWP at the same time as inland spousal sponsorship, it is NOT automatic.

nickbroken

Mar 10, 2019
Thank you very much. One more thing is she allowed to keep working? Currently she is allowed 20 hours a week, but after school ends in April does she have to quit or can she keep working while we wait on the OWP/PGPW? Again thank you for your time.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hey all, I hope all is well. Sorry if I going to ask some questions that has been answered ad nauseum, but as I said in the title I need some advice.
I married my wife in December of 2018 and have known eachother for 4 years I am a Canadian citizen, she is a citizen of the Philippines. She is here currently on a student for Personal Support Worker which is a one year course. Her visa is up in August, but she is planning on filing a PGWP extension after she graduates. We are currently about to apply for spousal visa, but I am wondering if we should do inland or outland. She also has told me about some option for an Atlantic immigration pilot program that she considered pursing as she has friends that work for a company in Halifax that are recruiting PSWs. I'd appreciate any advice you çould give about which route we should go. I love my wife I don't want to be without her and would rather her not have to go to the Philippines while waiting on a spousal. Thank you all and I hope all is well in your world.
Inland vs. outland really comes down to the need for an OWP, the likelihood of an interview and the desire to be able to leave Canada during processing. Generally, if it is a strong relationship and the applicant doesn't need the OWP, outland is the better option.

The OWP is irrelevant to your situation and is not a reason to apply inland. The PGWP is a better option regardless of whether she applies in land or outland.

You say you have known each for 4 years. What is the actual relationship history? Been together that long? How long have you lived together? What was the wedding like? Met each other's families? Unless there are red flags with your relationship, there is little chance of an interview, which means little chance of having to leave Canada for the interview with an outland app.

With an inland app, it is recommended to not leave Canada during processing because if unable to get a TRV to return or if refused re-entry, the inland app is abandoned. With an outland app, there is no such risk if unable to return; the app is processed as normal.

Thank you very much. One more thing is she allowed to keep working? Currently she is allowed 20 hours a week, but after school ends in April does she have to quit or can she keep working while we wait on the OWP/PGPW? Again thank you for your time.
She can continue working part-time until she applies for her PGWP as soon as receiving confirmation of program completion, at which point she can work full-time. If she instead applies for the spousal OWP and not the PGWP, she can continue working part-time until she receives confirmation of program completion; at that point, she must completely stop working and cannot work again until the OWP is approved, which would probably be July.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

nickbroken

Mar 10, 2019
Inland vs. outland really comes down to the need for an OWP, the likelihood of an interview and the desire to be able to leave Canada during processing. Generally, if it is a strong relationship and the applicant doesn't need the OWP, outland is the better option.

The OWP is irrelevant to your situation and is not a reason to apply inland. The PGWP is a better option regardless of whether she applies in land or outland.

You say you have known each for 4 years. What is the actual relationship history? Been together that long? How long have you lived together? What was the wedding like? Met each other's families? Unless there are red flags with your relationship, there is little chance of an interview, which means little chance of having to leave Canada for the interview with an outland app.

With an inland app, it is recommended to not leave Canada during processing because if unable to get a TRV to return or if refused re-entry, the inland app is abandoned. With an outland app, there is no such risk if unable to return; the app is processed as normal.

She can continue working part-time until she applies for her PGWP as soon as receiving confirmation of program completion, at which point she can work full-time. If she instead applies for the spousal OWP and not the PGWP, she can continue working part-time until she receives confirmation of program completion; at that point, she must completely stop working and cannot work again until the OWP is approved, which would probably be July.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus
Ahhh thanks I appreciate it. We will most likely just do inland since I think it would be easier and the time lines run the same. Thanks for the information I appreciate it. Especially about the work, I just got done talking to some guy who is a RCIC and he gave me totally different info on the work permit saying it was full time after her school ends and to file for an OWP. Seems going with the PGPW is the better route. I appreciate it since I have a feeling that you know what you are talking about more than he did.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ahhh thanks I appreciate it. We will most likely just do inland since I think it would be easier and the time lines run the same. Thanks for the information I appreciate it. Especially about the work, I just got done talking to some guy who is a RCIC and he gave me totally different info on the work permit saying it was full time after her school ends and to file for an OWP. Seems going with the PGPW is the better route. I appreciate it since I have a feeling that you know what you are talking about more than he did.
The PGWP is definitely the better route than the OWP.

nickbroken

Mar 10, 2019
Sounds like inland would work out fine for your situation. I'd go with that.
Yeah that is our plan to file in a week or two. As I'm sure anyone here knows how nerve-wracking immigration can be. I love my wife and don't know what I would do without her. She brings out the best in me. Thank you very much.

goodwill1984

Feb 20, 2020
Hi can you help me with some confusion ... as you said you are planning for work permit after psw , one of my cousin who is planning to come for PSW..is it sure that we will get work permit .. also which college you have selected .... pls help..better if you can share your email id. need some doubts to get cleared.like which college will be better and , surity of getting work permit as most of the courses are of 1 Academic year (8 months). thank you .