+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address/Personal History

Sid_rash

May 22, 2020
During 2021, because of COVID, I went to US to visit my family and was working from home from there for 4 months. I was employed and working all this time.

In the address history, do I need to ender address for this trip of around 4 months out of Canada. I was still employed in Canada and working, I was just working from home from the US due to covid.

Also, how should that be presented in the personal history?

Thanks in advance!

bosma_pol

Star Member
Dec 5, 2020
Did you have a work authorization for the US (even though you were employed by a foreign entity)?
If not, I would suggest checking in with a lawyer.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
During 2021, because of COVID, I went to US to visit my family and was working from home from there for 4 months. I was employed and working all this time.

In the address history, do I need to ender address for this trip of around 4 months out of Canada. I was still employed in Canada and working, I was just working from home from the US due to covid.

Also, how should that be presented in the personal history?

Thanks in advance!
What was your visa status in USA when you were working from there? You need to have work authorization in US to work for even a foreign entity.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
It was a work-from-home thing. Like just working on my laptop while I was staying with my sister.
It is not as simple and there are implications. Did you tell your employer in Canada that you would be working from USA? Did they ask you questions on your immigration status and do their due diligence? Does the company you work for also has presence in USA?

There are tax implications and there are implications from work visa standpoint. As other user has stated you need to cover your bases here.

The tax implications of employees working remotely abroad (cpacanada.ca)