+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Address for PR Card

baba7

Jan 2, 2010
My parents are coming to Canada for their PR Immigration from India. I am Canadian Citizen living in USA on Temporary Work Visa. I applied for my Parent Sponsorship under Family Class in 2006 when I was in Alberta. I moved from Alberta in Mid 2008 to USA. In my parents visa paper my old Alberta’s home address has been mentioned. I have also not changed my address in client application status of cic.gc.ca website as I still own the house and kept it on rent. I am still paying taxes in Canada. During immigration; can my parents ask to get their PR Card at different address?? I am planning if they can receive their PR Card on my Cousin's home address in Toronto. During my Parents immigration; will immigration officer ask about my whereabouts? Can my parents say that he is not living in Canada at present? I will be going to Canada to just receive my parents only and they probably are living with my cousin for a month before they visit us in USA.

I would appreciate if you can guide me in this matter.

Thank you very much for your help.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As you are sponsoring them you are required to live in Canada or intend to return there with them, so if they tell the border officer that you are not living in Canada there could be trouble.

They could say that they are going to stay with your cousin at first; I am not aware that there is any law that says you have to stay with your sponsor. Has anyone else heard anything about that?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
Karlshammar said:
As you are sponsoring them you are required to live in Canada or intend to return there with them, so if they tell the border officer that you are not living in Canada there could be trouble.

They could say that they are going to stay with your cousin at first; I am not aware that there is any law that says you have to stay with your sponsor. Has anyone else heard anything about that?
For non-spousal and dependent children sponsorship, the sponsor must reside in Canada through the sponsorship process. There are some leeway around the word "reside". The being sponsored person(s) has(have) no obligations to live with the sponsor as long as the sponsor takes care of their settlement needs.

Hope this helps.