+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding spouse to the application

for.junkie

Jun 14, 2011
Hi there,

I applied under CEC and received my AOR last week. During the time waiting for the AOR, me and my girlfriend decided that we are going to get married by the end of 2011. She is from Singapore and currently working under PGWP in Canada with 2 months of experience. However, I understand that if we get married during the process of CEC, I'd have to add her information to my application as family member who will accompany me to Canada.

Now, the question is, will there be any delay with my PR application? will getting married and adding her to the application affect the chances of getting my PR visa? Would it better to get married after getting my PR status, and then sponsor her as spouse to Canada? if so, during the application of her sponsorship, can she get a work permit and continue to work if her PGWP is expired during the sponsorship application?

I did search on the forum hoping to get some ideas, however, the key words like work permit, PGWP, etc are just giving way too many results to go through with little luck of getting what i want to know.

Thanks for all the help and answers.

Pouce

Star Member
Apr 17, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Seattle
NOC Code......
science
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-May-2010
AOR Received.
03-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
03-Mar-2011
Med's Request
21-Sep-2011
Med's Done....
16-NOv-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
09-July-2012
VISA ISSUED...
02-Aug-2012
LANDED..........
12-Aug-2012
the thing is if your status is changed, you have to update to CEC. so if you officially get married in the end of 2011 you have to, probabpy it takes more than 6 month to get reply from CEC. chances are your marriage will be coming ealier i guess. its up to you. wedding first or PR first? i would say dont wait for stupid PR. get married frist. marriage is blessing thing man!!! congrat.

for.junkie

Jun 14, 2011
Thanks man. I know, can't wait to marry this wonderful woman.

The thing is, she is from Singapore, I am from Taiwan, and we are both working under PGWP. We just want to figure out the most secure way to obtain the PR status, for both of us, with as little complications as possible.

One thing though, if I married her after I have my PR visa, would she be able to apply for an open work permit after her PGWP is expired?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you marry her before you get your PR, you must add her to the application and yes, it will probably delay it a bit. If you get the PR and land first before you marry her, you would have to sponsor her for PR. If you sponsor her inland, she would be eligible for an open work permit at her first stage approval after 9-10 months but it is often faster to sponsor a spouse outland. You are allowed to do that even if they are living in Canada. Still.. I think it is better to get married first and add her to your application.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Agree with Leon, get married now and add her to the application. If you wait and try to sponsor her, there will be a lot of time waiting for her work permit and PR which will be stressful. There would also be the remote possibility that her application is refused, and you would be a PR but your wife would not. If you add her to your application now, whatever the outcome, you will share it.

for.junkie

Jun 14, 2011
Thanks for the advise.

If everything is on schedule, we will be getting married sometime in November this year. Can't do it any sooner... As I believe my application will not be finalized anytime this year, I will probably add her to my application as soon as we are married.

Just one thing though, if I add her to my application, will there be a chance that one passes for a PR visa while the other one fails? Or it will be the case that either both pass, or both fail?

Thanks for any help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you add your wife to your file and she is inadmissible for some reason, then you are too.

If you get PR first and then marry and sponsor her, if she is inadmissible for the reason of background checks or dangerous contagious disease, she would not get PR but if she has a high demand on health care (not dangerous but expensive health problem), then she would be approved.