+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding common law partner

deerpriestess

Nov 13, 2022
Hi everyone

I am in Aus (AU citizen) living in a common law relationship with my partner (Indian citizen). Before we started dating/became common law, my partner applied for express entry to Canada and was progressing this application. Recently he received his PPR and he notified IRCC that he was now in a common law relationship which started after he applied. My understanding is that his application is now on hold until IRCC receives more information about our relationship/I am added to the application etc.

My partner's current agent is stating that, in order to sort this issue out (regardless of whether or not I am accompanying or non-accompanying) the agent will need to undertake the entire express entry process again and needs an additional $10,000 to do my application. The agent has refused to transfer the application and has stated that 'people do not take over their applications and complete them in Canada'. We've received quotes from a different agent at a significantly reduced cost and the second agent's comments are that I can be added to my partner's application without much issue as long as we can get representation transferred.

I am hoping to get more of an understanding of this process - obviously the immigration process is quite different in Australia and it is straightforward to add dependants/take over your own application process etc so I am out of my depth on the Canadian front.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone

I am in Aus (AU citizen) living in a common law relationship with my partner (Indian citizen). Before we started dating/became common law, my partner applied for express entry to Canada and was progressing this application. Recently he received his PPR and he notified IRCC that he was now in a common law relationship which started after he applied. My understanding is that his application is now on hold until IRCC receives more information about our relationship/I am added to the application etc.

My partner's current agent is stating that, in order to sort this issue out (regardless of whether or not I am accompanying or non-accompanying) the agent will need to undertake the entire express entry process again and needs an additional $10,000 to do my application. The agent has refused to transfer the application and has stated that 'people do not take over their applications and complete them in Canada'. We've received quotes from a different agent at a significantly reduced cost and the second agent's comments are that I can be added to my partner's application without much issue as long as we can get representation transferred.

I am hoping to get more of an understanding of this process - obviously the immigration process is quite different in Australia and it is straightforward to add dependants/take over your own application process etc so I am out of my depth on the Canadian front.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Most people on this forum have completed the entire process on their own. You don't need a lawyer or an agent.

You can cancel your representative and do this last step yourself.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigration-citizenship-representative/change-cancel.html

deerpriestess

Nov 13, 2022

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the prompt reply. That is what I thought (and is also common practice in Aus). I will push back on the agent when we next speak to them :)
Would suggest just cancelling their services. Hopefully you haven’t paid in full. You will need proof of living together for a year like lease with both your name on it, utility bills with either names throughout the 1 year period especially the beginning of the 1 year period, proof of filing taxes a common law, etc.

deerpriestess

Nov 13, 2022
Would suggest just cancelling their services. Hopefully you haven’t paid in full. You will need proof of living together for a year like lease with both your name on it, utility bills with either names throughout the 1 year period especially the beginning of the 1 year period, proof of filing taxes a common law, etc.
Thanks! I agree and thankfully have all those docs already. Unfortunately the agent took quite a bit of money up front (this process started in 2019) so we will have to cut our losses there. We also found out that the agent on record has been suspended since last year which adds to our stress but we will get through it.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks! I agree and thankfully have all those docs already. Unfortunately the agent took quite a bit of money up front (this process started in 2019) so we will have to cut our losses there. We also found out that the agent on record has been suspended since last year which adds to our stress but we will get through it.
Sadly many are under the impression that they need an agent to apply for any type of visa, permit, immigration which is incorrect. Many making a lot of money off people from their own communities and charging a much higher fee than reasonable for information that can be found on the internet. Many don’t even give out correct information. As long as you have strong proof that you have been living together continuously for 1 year you should be fine it will just take a bit longer. You don’t really have an option a common law spouse must be included in the application or else they’d never be able to be sponsored.