+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Adding Common Law Partner. Please, Please Help!!!!!!!

anjali18

Dec 29, 2011
This is really important and i am hoping you guys will be able to help me.
The situation is a little complicated.
Me and my boyfriend are living together since 2011. we had all the documents together.
for example- leased the house together , filed for tax together etc.
we moved to edmonton had some personal problems in our relationship , this is the time my boyfriend applied for his AINP as single because we were not in good terms.
I applied for my Ainp too.
My boyfriend got approved for his AINP and applied for his PR to CIC.
We are back together now, and want to add my name to his application as common law partner.
i was wondering if its going to be ok if he adds up my name now when his PR application is in process.
What is the best solution.
please please need your guidence. please reply !
will be waiting .

susana

Nov 4, 2008
you were not his common-law partner when he applied, and now you are back togheter and there was a breach on your relationship, I do not know for how long you were separated but it seems to me you are not longer in a common law relationship due to the separation.

susana

Nov 4, 2008
A common law relationship requires cohabititation After the one year period of cohabitation has been established, the partners may live apart for periods of time without legally breaking the cohabitation. For example, a couple may have been separated due to armed conflict, illness of a family member, or for employment or education-related reasons, and therefore do not cohabit at present. … Despite the break in cohabitation, a common-law relationship exists if the couple has cohabited continuously in a conjugal relationship in the past for at least one year and intends to do so again as soon as possible and they still have an emotional and economical dependency . THIS IS NOT THE CASE

This situation is similar to a marriage where the parties are temporarily separated or not cohabiting for a variety of reasons, but still considers themselves to be married and living in a conjugal relationship with their spouse with the intention of living together as soon as possible. For common-law relationships (and marriage), the longer the period of separation without any cohabitation, the more difficult it is to establish that the common-law relationship (or marriage) still exists. This situation applies to you unfortunatelly, and it has been decalred in both your applications . As per the AINP timelimes , you were separeted for at least a year , maybe more , amd there was a "separation" as a couple .