+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Added surname before applying for citizenship

sanjaykm

Aug 26, 2018
Hi , have anyone gone through name change ( adding surname). I added surname in my name as it was not there in my records. So for this recently I added my surname in Indian passport after publishing advertisement in two newspaper. After this I applied for citizenship and submitted docs like old passport and new passport that shows this is the same person. Now cic requested additional documents like name change certificate. Does Indian consulate issue such letter? What is the process? Please let me know if someone goes through this process of adding surname before applying citizenship with new name.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi , have anyone gone through name change ( adding surname). I added surname in my name as it was not there in my records. So for this recently I added my surname in Indian passport after publishing advertisement in two newspaper. After this I applied for citizenship and submitted docs like old passport and new passport that shows this is the same person. Now cic requested additional documents like name change certificate. Does Indian consulate issue such letter? What is the process? Please let me know if someone goes through this process of adding surname before applying citizenship with new name.
If you changed your name in Canada, you can apply for a certificate of name change. If you changed you name in India, then you can use a copy of your Affidavit of name change or deed. You should also contact Indian Consulate for further info

Last edited:

sanjaykm

Aug 26, 2018
If you changed your name in Canada, you can apply for a certificate of name change. If you changed you name in India, then you can use a copy of your Affidavit of name change or deed. You should also contact Indian Consulate for further info

I submitted copy of notorized document which was prepared and signed by notary person and I submitted copy of same to cic as original was submitted to Indian passport office for name change

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I submitted copy of notorized document which was prepared and signed by notary person and I submitted copy of same to cic as original was submitted to Indian passport office for name change
Do you have any provincial documentation in the new name? It is required to establish identity. Like a driver's license? As a PR I think you can apply for legal name change certificate from your province (registry)

sanjaykm

Aug 26, 2018
Do you have any provincial documentation in the new name? It is required to establish identity. Like a driver's license? As a PR I think you can apply for legal name change certificate from your province (registry)
No.. I just change name in Indian passport

sanjaykm

Aug 26, 2018
Hi, is there anyone who face this situation I.e. Adding surname in Canada in Indian passport. If yes, please tell me the process..thanks

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
No.. I just change name in Indian passport
Hi, is there anyone who face this situation I.e. Adding surname in Canada in Indian passport. If yes, please tell me the process..thanks
Try using the search option and search the forum for name change. Hopefully you will come across something that might help while you wait for others to help. However, you should also know that you are required to have a provincial documentation in your new name. All the best

Calvinomen

Sep 10, 2018
Hey Sanjay ,

I am thinking of getting the name change process done. Is it possible for you to paste the template of the advertisements in the Indian and Canadian newspapers here ? Just the outline, not the details. I have been looking online but there is no consensus. Please, would be very helpful.