+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ACHIEVE HIGH BAND IN IELTS

kadian

Sep 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MY INTRO:
Took IDP IELTS exam on 6th Sept. 2014
1. Result was delayed twice & got declared on 10th Oct. 2014. Reason given was random quality assessment.
2. Score: R-9, L-8.5, S-6.5, W-6.0.
3. Believe me, I deserved min. 7.0 in writing. May be they are more stringent in cases of re-assessment or it varies depending on the individual checker cos it is a subjective call.
4. The speaking interviewer an Indian Lady in early 50's was nice, but I got nervous & started replying really fast, resulting in low band.
5. Second attempt scheduled for 20th Dec. 2014(Acad. IELTS). Looking forward to score high in Writing & Speaking:

WRITING Section
Results varies way beyond applicants expectations, so I did some research & came across a study which strongly criticizes IELTS holistic marking approach for writing section.
Link:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/gaurav/My%20Documents/Downloads/6599-14217-1-PB%20(1).pdf

IMPORTANT: Please review the IELTS Writing Assessment Guidelines (WAG) to score better in writing.
Note:The below mentioned marking was mentioned in the research report, and does not authenticate the actual WAG of IELTS.

WRITING TASK 1 Scoring Criteria
Task Fulfillment 5 marks
Coherence and cohesion 5 marks
Vocabulary 10 marks
Sentence Structure 10 marks
TOTAL 30 marks

WRITING TASK 2 Scoring Criteria
Organization 20 marks
Arguments, ideas, evidence 20 marks
Communicative Quality 10 marks
Vocabulary and sentence structure 10 marks
Mechanics 10 marks
TOTAL: 70 marks

GRAND TOTAL: 100 marks

Speaking Section
Listening Section
Reading Section

Please provide your inputs on other sections, I will update other sections upon more research & study

prizebox

Nov 1, 2014
kadian said:
MY INTRO:
Took IDP IELTS exam on 6th Sept. 2014
1. Result was delayed twice & got declared on 10th Oct. 2014. Reason given was random quality assessment.
2. Score: R-9, L-8.5, S-6.5, W-6.0.
3. Believe me, I deserved min. 7.0 in writing. May be they are more stringent in cases of re-assessment or it varies depending on the individual checker cos it is a subjective call.
4. The speaking interviewer an Indian Lady in early 50's was nice, but I got nervous & started replying really fast, resulting in low band.
5. Second attempt scheduled for 20th Dec. 2014(Acad. IELTS). Looking forward to score high in Writing & Speaking:

WRITING Section
Results varies way beyond applicants expectations, so I did some research & came across a study which strongly criticizes IELTS holistic marking approach for writing section.
Link:
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/gaurav/My%20Documents/Downloads/6599-14217-1-PB%20(1).pdf

IMPORTANT: Please review the IELTS Writing Assessment Guidelines (WAG) to score better in writing.
Note:The below mentioned marking was mentioned in the research report, and does not authenticate the actual WAG of IELTS.

WRITING TASK 1 Scoring Criteria
Task Fulfillment 5 marks
Coherence and cohesion 5 marks
Vocabulary 10 marks
Sentence Structure 10 marks
TOTAL 30 marks

WRITING TASK 2 Scoring Criteria
Organization 20 marks
Arguments, ideas, evidence 20 marks
Communicative Quality 10 marks
Vocabulary and sentence structure 10 marks
Mechanics 10 marks
TOTAL: 70 marks

GRAND TOTAL: 100 marks

Speaking Section
Listening Section
Reading Section

Please provide your inputs on other sections, I will update other sections upon more research & study
I believe u... that just happened to me half year ago. I got 9 9 7 6 for listening,reading,speaking and writing respectively. The result was delayed about one month due to quality check. I never got mark of writing under 7 before, and that time I just used about 40 minutes to finish my writing and have plenty of time to check my gramma or sth like that. Luckily, the result was eligible, so I decided not to bother it anymore.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
kadian said:
No..... we all get +/- 0.5 of what we really deserve.

It is better to understand why you didn't score the 7.0 than to think that you deserve the 7.0.

My suggestion is to read and read essays that were written and give account on why they chose those words, why they elaborate on this and not on that and the all-around structure. Writing is not about just "writing" it is about complying with the structure of what IELTS requires. You can find this on the web and on IELTS practice books.

kadian said:
No. Speed has NOTHING to do in your speaking score; in fact it is the other way as speaking fast indicates you totally dominate the vocabulary without the need to translate anything at all. Most probably your accent/pronunciation got in the way, this does happens when you talk too fast when you don’t dominate the vocabulary.

Suggestion? Record yourself and then make a native listen to it and give you feedback. As you are being recorded you will also induce insecurity on you and will show off many flaws you have. Ask for feedback in a “is this the correct way to say it?” way and not in the “do you understand me?” way which most people (and most students) use to evaluate others.