+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Accidentally Applied for Visitor Record. Is my Study Permit Invalid?

Aug 31, 2024
Hello, I'm new here but long story short I wanted to apply for a visa to re-enter Canada in case I had to leave. I am an active international student in Manitoba.

However, I received in my mail recently visitor records that unauthorized me to work or study. Does this overrides/invalidates my study permit (and I also have a co-op work permit)? Do I have to reapply for new ones?

I read that I can't apply from inside of Canada and in scared of being deported. I cannot reach IRCC or immigration lawyer services due to the long weekend.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Nana_1

Jan 18, 2024
Hi, I had the same issue some time back in 2023 and when i called IRCC, they said its not a problem. essentially you can hold your valid study permit and the visitor record. if your study permit doesn't expire within the next 6 months (because the visitor record expires after 6 months) then no need to worry. if it does, and you wait for it(study permit) to expire, then that switches you automatically to a visitor.
In my case i did not have to reapply for the study permit because i was graduating in a few months. i then applied for my PGWP and got it approved while still holding the valid visitor record