+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Absence from Canada

moonlightshadow

Jun 14, 2024
Hello,

I have a question, if - sometime in the future - I decide to be absent from Canada approx. 5 months in a year, however maintaining my residency in Canada (that is, renting a flat permanently). Do I need to report back to tax and other government authorities? I am thinking will I be still entitled to tax benefits, tax credit, healthcare, driving license, etc.? all of that, I do have presently.
For sure, my presence in Canada will exceed +6 months in a year but this will not be in a row.
This prospect is not yet confirmed yet, but I am looking at many options right now.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Thanks
Regards

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello,

I have a question, if - sometime in the future - I decide to be absent from Canada approx. 5 months in a year, however maintaining my residency in Canada (that is, renting a flat permanently). Do I need to report back to tax and other government authorities? I am thinking will I be still entitled to tax benefits, tax credit, healthcare, driving license, etc.? all of that, I do have presently.
For sure, my presence in Canada will exceed +6 months in a year but this will not be in a row.
This prospect is not yet confirmed yet, but I am looking at many options right now.

Thanks
Regards
You have multiple questions here.
Meeting residence requirement for provincal health coverage is different from asking if you are a tax resident.
So. look at the requirement of your province. for health coverage
RO - 2 years within the rolling 5 years
Tax residence. check with CRA.

renting a flat...etc. is only relevant to CRA. not to IRCC for RO (which only count physical presence)

moonlightshadow

Jun 14, 2024
You have multiple questions here.
Meeting residence requirement for provincal health coverage is different from asking if you are a tax resident.
So. look at the requirement of your province. for health coverage
RO - 2 years within the rolling 5 years
Tax residence. check with CRA.

renting a flat...etc. is only relevant to CRA. not to IRCC for RO (which only count physical presence)
Thanks for response. Makes sense.
I mostly worried in terms of tax benefits, as I do not want to receive for example credits and then have to pay it back later on.

Can we say that if we are tax resident (not deemed tax resident) than tax credits/benefits will still apply.
Of course I would check with CRA for official answer, in the meantime if someone has any head up would be great.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for response. Makes sense.
I mostly worried in terms of tax benefits, as I do not want to receive for example credits and then have to pay it back later on.

Can we say that if we are tax resident (not deemed tax resident) than tax credits/benefits will still apply.
Of course I would check with CRA for official answer, in the meantime if someone has any head up would be great.

Thanks
Would depend on type of benefit. Would contact CRA about your specific case. Having a place to live in Canada does not ensure tax residency. Keeping your eligibility access healthcare depends on the province. Typically provinces want you to be paying taxes in a province to be able to access healthcare.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hello,

Thanks
Regards
Don't do it. Wait until you become a citizen, then at least you don't have to worry about residency requirements.