+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

about tuberculosis

Noor26

Nov 8, 2019
my visa application is in process. Medical performed by embassy stated suspicion relating to TB. I was asked to provide sputum for sputum culture for three consecutive days. I got my diagnosis done in private and the doctor said I had latent TB which is now turning to active TB and also that it is the very initial stage of that. I am literally super worried that in what time I'm going to get well and what is going to be the result of sputum culture. I did search a lot and came to know that with latent TB you can get the visa but you will be kept under surveillance and if u have active TB, the visa is rejected. I am really worried about the result that is going to come as I was very excited about my journey. Can somebody tell me what can be the result of the embassy reports and what tests can follow up if the embassy report is positive? Ps my treatment is going on and it has been 19 days now i had been having my medicines and doctor too has said that my tb will become inactive after two months. Help me out please.

najlvonm

Oct 30, 2019
At this moment in time, you should be more worried about TB.
it is a DEADLY disease, and you should consider yourself lucky, you got it diagnosed early on and have already started treatement.

there will be no visa processing done for as long as you are being treated.
I believe they require 3 clean consecutive sputums plus 2 x-rays that also show improvement.

from what i remember, my wife's treatement finished in march, but had to do another sputum test three months later..only after that she passed medical
i think you're looking at a roughly 9 month delay (6 month treatment of active TB, plus test which cannot be done before 3 months after treatement)
you should talk to your doctor, he should know best

Mei_Ji

Jan 8, 2020
Hello everyone! I’ve been reading posts and comments here for a while, looking for cases similar to mine. Glad to found there are some but each case really is unique on its own. I do have questions I haven’t found answers to. I’m currently on the waiting period after my initial medical which required me to do additional tests: sputum culture and X-ray. I was told that the sputum culture result is to be expected this week though I haven’t received it yet. My predicament is that when I had the initial X-ray, I had a cough and that is when they found apical opacities on my lung, TB suspicion. And when they told me that I’d know the results after 2 months, I got worried since I had kids at home and would not wish to infect them if indeed I had it. So I opted to have myself checked by a pulmonologist and although the sputum smear and GeneXpert test showed negative, my skin test result was positive meaning I had been exposed to TB bacteria, so he told me I had latent TB and prescribed prophylactic TB treatment for 4 months. Now, I read on a blog that if you take antibiotics or medication for the lungs, there will be changes compared to the previous X-ray and this would be a reason for the immigration doctors to think you have active TB and will affect the medical badly. Is this true? I would really appreciate if anyone can give me advice on what I should do. Thank you in advance! (And sorry for the long post.)

najlvonm

Oct 30, 2019
This tuberculosis is one hell of a disease.
in order to explain...
My wife's started with "bronhiolitis", sometime in august i believe she had an x-ray - came out clean, then we waited for CT scan and the same week she had the CT scan, she came down with a severe case of pneumonia. CT scan prompted pneumologist to suspect TB and she got sent to specialized clinic.
they made 3 sputum tests, all came out negative, but x-ray was horrible. only after they did a fairly invasive sputum swab (going all the way down deep into the lungs) were they able to get a positive sputum test.

to put it shortly - sputum test is obviously not always reliable
If it is true you only have latent form - you can rest easy, your family will not be infected by you, however, since you have it, it would be very wise to have everyone in the family tested aswell.

at this point there is really not much you can do except to be very strict with the treatement. For exaxct answers on how soon you can get a green light from the doctor, you should consult him. I believe in the case of latent TB it is much shorter compared to active TB. i THINK you do not have the 3 month post-treatement check-up, so as soon as you're done and test negative, you're good to go.