+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

About family size change (sponsoring single parent)

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
Hi,
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks a ton in advance.

I have only 14 days left to file my mother's PR application. I am self-employed and I filed taxes (for last 3 years) assuming that my family size is 2 to sponsor my mother. (She is widow)

But recently, I got married to a foreigner out-side of Canada. She has no status in Canada and she is not dependent on me. And, I will file her PR after my mother's application (in couple months).

If I write my current family size 3; they will reject my mother's PR file right away. Right !!? Then I have to again participate in lottery draw etc ... !!

If I mention family size 2 on mother's PR application, then they will start working on my mother's file. But whenever my wife's PR is filed, they might figure out my new family size and reject my mother's application !????

Someone suggested me following solutions/trick:

I file my mother's PR mentioning family size 2 and immediately file more taxes for last 3 years (to match family size of 3), and then send IRCC a letter stating that my current family size is 3 and I also have updated NOA that matches family size 3.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks a ton :)

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hi,

I have only 14 days left to file my mother's PR application. I am self-employed and I filed taxes (for last 3 years) assuming that my family size is 2 to sponsor my mother. (She is widow)

But recently, I got married to a foreigner out-side of Canada. She has no status in Canada and she is not dependent on me. And, I will file her PR after my mother's application (in couple months).

If I write my current family size 3; they will reject my mother's PR file right away. Right !!? Then I have to again participate in lottery draw etc ... !!

If I mention family size 2 on mother's PR application, then they will start working on my mother's file. But whenever my wife's PR is filed, they might figure out my new family size and reject my mother's application !????

I file my mother's PR mentioning family size 2 and immediately file more taxes for last 3 years (to match family size of 3), and then send IRCC a letter stating that my current family size is 3 and I also have updated NOA that matches family size 3.

The trick is a misrepresentation. You fill the application as of the date that you sign the application (digitally or not). Your wife is your wife. Doesn't matter if she has status or live in Canada.

Reactions: dsingh72

dsingh72

Dec 29, 2016
The trick is a misrepresentation. You fill the application as of the date that you sign the application (digitally or not). Your wife is your wife. Doesn't matter if she has status or live in Canada.
Thank you!
Yes! It sounds misrepresenting.

Today, I'm redoing past 3 years NOA. How many days CRA takes to updated NOAs. Do they update it online in couple days after you sent them money for your revised taxes? I have 10 days left to submit my mother's application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thank you!
Yes! It sounds misrepresenting.

Today, I'm redoing past 3 years NOA. How many days CRA takes to updated NOAs. Do they update it online in couple days after you sent them money for your revised taxes? I have 10 days left to submit my mother's application.
I don't know how many days will take CRA to reassess your tax return. But do not count on getting an updated NOA so soon.

Send you application with explaination letter. And may be attached a copy of your updated tax return.

Reactions: dsingh72

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Your wife needs to be added for the year you were married. Altering your taxes is a very risky thing to do. You are essentially admitting you misfiled your taxes purposefully for multiple years in a row. Which IRCC would make people submit taxes with their EOI since there is so much manipulations of taxes after selections are completed. B