+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few questions about when and how...

Salacis

Dec 30, 2009
Las, Vegas, Nevada, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To start the immigration process.

Some info about my situation: I'm a US citizen, currently involved in a two year relationship with my Canadian boyfriend. We met online, have been going back and forth with emails, MSN messages, and even our nightly phone calls via Skype. We haven't officaly met face to face yet, but are planning on doing so come sometime around febuary. We've already decided that I'll be moving up there to live with him, hopefuly sometime around mid to late spring. (We're just waiting on him buying and moving into a new house that will be large enough to fit us, our friend, and 4 cats.)

My question is, When should i start the process for my PR? Should i file it at the same time i file my visitor extension, as we'll have been living together for a year (thus making us common law) by the time the second extention (if approved) is expired?

I'm going to be starting my second semester of school shortly to complete my course work for a certificate in Medical Transcription. Should i file my PR as a worker? or should i allow my boyfriend/future spouse to sponser me for that part of the process? I've searched all over the web, this site and the forums for the answers to my questions but haven't seemed to find anything.

Any and all opinions, advice, etc would be hightly appreciated. :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Salacis said:
To start the immigration process.

Some info about my situation: I'm a US citizen, currently involved in a two year relationship with my Canadian boyfriend. We met online, have been going back and forth with emails, MSN messages, and even our nightly phone calls via Skype. We haven't officaly met face to face yet, but are planning on doing so come sometime around febuary. We've already decided that I'll be moving up there to live with him, hopefuly sometime around mid to late spring. (We're just waiting on him buying and moving into a new house that will be large enough to fit us, our friend, and 4 cats.)

My question is, When should i start the process for my PR? Should i file it at the same time i file my visitor extension, as we'll have been living together for a year (thus making us common law) by the time the second extention (if approved) is expired?

I'm going to be starting my second semester of school shortly to complete my course work for a certificate in Medical Transcription. Should i file my PR as a worker? or should i allow my boyfriend/future spouse to sponser me for that part of the process? I've searched all over the web, this site and the forums for the answers to my questions but haven't seemed to find anything.

Any and all opinions, advice, etc would be hightly appreciated. :)
In order for you to be sponsored under family class you should either be married or been in a common law relationship for at least one year, and you have to meet "face to face" to do that. So if you want him to sponsor you under common law, you have to live with him for at least one year.

Salacis

Dec 30, 2009
Las, Vegas, Nevada, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thankyou for the response! So my original plan then would make sense. Move all my things up there mid to late spring, extend my visitor pass at the 6 month mark, and at the end of that extension, have him sponser me for PR?

that's what i'm thinking will happen, just wanna make sure that the plan doesn't sound faulty to anyone with experence in this situation :)

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Salacis said:
Thankyou for the response! So my original plan then would make sense. Move all my things up there mid to late spring, extend my visitor pass at the 6 month mark, and at the end of that extension, have him sponser me for PR?

that's what i'm thinking will happen, just wanna make sure that the plan doesn't sound faulty to anyone with experence in this situation :)
Make sure you don't end up like this member:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/needing-information-and-advice-quickly-t31442.0.html

Salacis

Dec 30, 2009
Las, Vegas, Nevada, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh wow. Good point.. Maybe it'd be best if i moved a little bit at a time, or maybe sent my things to him before moving so i have only a few bags when i cross?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Salacis said:
Oh wow. Good point.. Maybe it'd be best if i moved a little bit at a time, or maybe sent my things to him before moving so i have only a few bags when i cross?
Yes, that would be better. You can box up your belongings and mail them or if you want to take a U-haul, have him do it and say it's his stuff ;)

Then you cross into Canada and say you are coming to visit your boyfriend for a month with enough bags only for a month but of course you then change your mind later and decide to stay longer. They can still deny you entry if they don't think you are going back to the US and they can also deny your extension so you have to be flexible to change your plans if it doesn't work out.

Salacis

Dec 30, 2009
Las, Vegas, Nevada, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much all of you for the input. I'd just die if i got to the border and they told me no!

I have some time so i can discuss logistics and the like with the boy :)

Again, thank you all!

caliope

Jan 19, 2010
I am in the exact same position except I am the Canadian and the boyfriend is American. Once you come to Canada and stay for hopefully as long as you can by getting your visitor visa extended how are you planning to work? Am I correct in assuming that while waiting the 12 months to be considered common law and start the PR process you are unable to work?

About mailing stuff across the border...do custom officials stop and question these shipments? I mean, sending furniture and other large items may send up a red flag, especially if multiple shipments are made to the same Canadian address. Just curious if anyone has done this.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are there as a visitor you will not be able to work. You could qualify for a temporary work permit under the same conditions and criteria as everyone else.

Salacis

Dec 30, 2009
Las, Vegas, Nevada, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Am I correct in assuming that while waiting the 12 months to be considered common law and start the PR process you are unable to work?
That's my understanding of the process, at least from what i've read on the site and from friends of my boyfriend that have all gone through this process already.

Though that does bring up another question. At the time of my move, i'll be working online as a medical transcriptionist. Does anyone see that as going to be an issue if i continue to work for a US based company, (who will be direct depositing my paychecks into a US bank account) while 'visiting' canada for the time it takes to be considered Common law and get the PR paperwork filed?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's a grey area. You aren't actually working in Canada, you are working in the US while living in Canada so it's not like you need a work permit.

Another question would be, would you be expected to file taxes in Canada since you are living in Canada while working in the US? If yes, then it becomes a question how because you don't have a SIN.

My personal opinion would be that it's ok but you might want to talk to a lawyer about this to make sure.