+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A few questions about common law sponsorship

Boo135

Jul 13, 2013
Hi All,

Im currently waiting in the EE pool but my PGWP expires in February so I have decided to start the ball rolling on my back-up plan of applying for PR through common law sponsorship. I have been living with my boyfriend for 3 years now and we have tons of proof of our relationship so Im not toooo worried about refusal (the worry is always there of course :p). I just have some questions about inland vs outland.

I know that there is that pilot program for inland right now that would give me an OWP before stage 1 is approved, and I will need to be able to work while my application is being process as we are trying to save up to buy a farm. However, my family lives in the states and I go to visit them roughly 2 a year - from what Ive read I seems I shouldn't leave the country for the whole time of my application (2 years it seems) without my boyfriend coming with me. Is this true? are even short trips (1 week) taken seriously with this application method?

If I apply through the outland route what requirements do i need to meet to get an OWP? From what ive read it seems like I would need to find a job with an LMO or LMIA? I already have a job that i love and have had for the past 3 years and would like to keep it if possible but they are not able to get an LMIA..

Lastly, my boyfriend and I are planning on buying and starting a farm in the next 2 years (buying a home and starting a business), does anyone know if that would be a problem if my PR application is still under review?

It seems like the inland application would be better for us since it means i can keep working, Im just worried about being able to travel to see my family and how lengthy the process is.. It would be pretty terrible to get settled with our business and then be refused and not have the right to appeal :-[

Any advice would be really amazing, thanks!!!

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. you can leave the country, but what normally forum members would say that no guarantee of entrance when you come back.
if you get rejected to enter Canada, then your inland application is cancelled.( that is what most applicant would worry about)

2. you can not apply for OWP with outland app. - only Inland app.

3. you can apply for work permit, but your company have to have LMO or LMIA ( it takes some time and money for company )
you have been working for 3 years, you should talk to your supervisor or HR.
if your company is willing to apply for LMO or LMIA, you would apply for work permit.
but it takes some time to get it, so you must stop working when your PGWP is expired and restart to work there with any work permit (owp or work permit)

4. don't think you would have any problem to buy a land or house as a foreigner in Canada, but personally, I would wait till you get your PR.

correct me if there is wrong info.

Good luck.

Boo135

Jul 13, 2013
Thanks so much!

I was also wondering if anyone knew how big of a deal it would be on an inland spousal application if I (the one being sponsored) accidentally worked on an expired work permit for a few months. I asked CIC about it when I was sending in my CEC application, and they said they it would probably be just fine if I wrote a letter of explanation and was up front about it. I'm I little more worried about it being a problem with the inland application because we wont have the right to appeal a refusal... does anyone have experience or advice?

Thanks so much again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Boo135 said:
Thanks so much!

I was also wondering if anyone knew how big of a deal it would be on an inland spousal application if I (the one being sponsored) accidentally worked on an expired work permit for a few months. I asked CIC about it when I was sending in my CEC application, and they said they it would probably be just fine if I wrote a letter of explanation and was up front about it. I'm I little more worried about it being a problem with the inland application because we wont have the right to appeal a refusal... does anyone have experience or advice?

Thanks so much again!
The illegal work could cause CIC to be more suspicious of your relationship and want to examine it further to ensure it's genuine and not a relationship of convenience. When this happens, applications are sent to the Etobicoke office for closer examination and processing times are typically siginficantly longer (potentially years longer).

Boo135

Jul 13, 2013
wow really? years longer?! Im feeling so helpless, every route I've tried has had such huge road blocks.. Ive been living in Canada for almost 7 years, I never thought I'd have this much trouble being able to stay after school...

I have yet another question. We are living in QC right now but plan to settle in Ontario, do I still need to apply for a CSQ for the inland common law application?