+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A Canadian wife accompanies me outside Canada where I work.

Youssef1000

Jun 26, 2015
Dear Experts

I will appreciate your advise. I am a PR holder who currently offered a job outside Canada and left the country. My PR will expire in Nov. 2018. My wife and kids have accumulated 3 years in Canada and applied for Citizenship under the previous system. I assume they will get the citizenship sometime in summer 2016. My questions are:
1- If my wife joined me outside Canada after she becomes a Canadian citizen, say in summer 2016, will the time she spend with me be counted toward my residency requirement? Please consider the fact that I am the one who is working. In other word she is actually accompanying me not me accompanying her.
2- In case the time is counted, can I apply for a travel document to return back to Canada after the expiration of my PR, say after 7 years? Is there a time limit ?.

I will appreciate your advice. It means a lot to my family.
Thank you

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Youssef1000 said:
Dear Experts

I will appreciate your advise. I am a PR holder who currently offered a job outside Canada and left the country. My PR will expire in Nov. 2018. My wife and kids have accumulated 3 years in Canada and applied for Citizenship under the previous system. I assume they will get the citizenship sometime in summer 2016. My questions are:
1- If my wife joined me outside Canada after she becomes a Canadian citizen, say in summer 2016, will the time she spend with me be counted toward my residency requirement? Please consider the fact that I am the one who is working. In other word she is actually accompanying me not me accompanying her.
2- In case the time is counted, can I apply for a travel document to return back to Canada after the expiration of my PR, say after 7 years? Is there a time limit ?.

I will appreciate your advice. It means a lot to my family.
Thank you
1 - Yes, if she lives with your abroad, it will count towards your PR residency (but not citizenship). It doesn't matter who accompanies who, as long as you are living together. While living together abroad, you should start collecting proofs that you are living together (both name on lease/mortgage, getting mail at same address, etc) as CIC will want to see this when you try to renew PR card

2 - Yes you can apply for a travel document as long as you meet the PR RO when you do so.