+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A better future with My True LOVE...

Vicky7

Nov 21, 2012
Hello everyone, My name is Vicky. I am Greek Canadian and have been living in Greece for the past 23 years, but since everything has been so difficult here I have decided to return back to B.C. But there is an issue.. I met My fiance but she lives in Portugal and I want to sponsor her to be with me in Vancouver B.C. I have no idea what i should do.. We will marry anyway but should I Marry her in B.C or in her Country? But will she have to leave again and return or may she stay with me there? What is the fastest way to be with her? :'( If I sponsor her from B.C how long will be take and do I need a big income? Does Vancouver B.C support gay marriage? I am sorry dear souls but LOVE cries here and I am so desperate.. She also has a University degree.. does that help in everything? I don't know so, sorry for asking that :( Thank You so and God Bless You all... LOVE~

Take care
V,

3000miles

Aug 1, 2012
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-10-2012
AOR Received.
16-11-2012
Med's Done....
27-08-2012
Passport Req..
21-03-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-05-2013
LANDED..........
26-05-2013
Same-sex marriage is legal throughout all of Canada as well as in Portugal. My wife and I are currently going through the outland application process. She is from the US. We got married in New Hampshire, USA, and she is now staying with me here in BC while we await her approval. I recieved my sponsorship approval last week, and we will be applying for her visitor extension in a few months.

We are lucky to have equality here in Canada.

Good luck, and know that you do not have to live in Canada to apply to sponsor your partner, you just need to be able to prove your intentions to move here once your partner (or maybe by then wife!) is approved for PR.

Thanks and good luck,

Stephanie

frenchie57

Star Member
May 7, 2012
Calgary
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-11-2011
Med's Done....
10-11-2011
LANDED..........
22-11-2012
Vicky7 said:
Hello everyone, My name is Vicky. I am Greek Canadian and have been living in Greece for the past 23 years, but since everything has been so difficult here I have decided to return back to B.C. But there is an issue.. I met My fiance but she lives in Portugal and I want to sponsor her to be with me in Vancouver B.C. I have no idea what i should do.. We will marry anyway but should I Marry her in B.C or in her Country? But will she have to leave again and return or may she stay with me there? What is the fastest way to be with her? :'( If I sponsor her from B.C how long will be take and do I need a big income? Does Vancouver B.C support gay marriage? I am sorry dear souls but LOVE cries here and I am so desperate.. She also has a University degree.. does that help in everything? I don't know so, sorry for asking that :( Thank You so and God Bless You all... LOVE~

Take care
V,
Hi Vicky,

If your fiance is in Portugal right now and you're in Greece, I take it you haven't been living with her ?
B.C does allow same-sex marriages.

There is no minimum income for spousal sponsorship. They might look at it though to make sure you can support her.

If you marry her in Portugal, you'll have to get all the documents translated, but I don't think it should be a big deal.

The fact that she has a university degree won't make a too big difference but it is asked in the application. The good thing if she has one is that they'll probably consider that she can be a "good addition to the country".

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Portugal is visa exempt, so your gf/wife would be able to "visit" you for six months. She can extend her stay inside Canada. She won't be able to work without a LMO or have healthcare until you're approved as her sponsor. If you file Inland, she could also ask for a work permit at the end of stage 1 approval (you're approved to sponsor her).

For more information, I suggest searching the forum for "inland versus Outland" "visa exempt visitor" and "extending visitor status." You can also read threads from any visa exempt country (UK and USA are two good options with multiple threads active) to get a better idea about extending her stay.

The thread pinned at the top of Family Class is very helpful too.

Edit: I'm assuming from your post she's a Portuguese citizen. If she's not, let us know where she holds her passport.

Creampop

Jun 15, 2012
Waterloo ON
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo closed > Ottawa > Finalized in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 23rd, 2012
Doc's Request.
RPRF-September 14th, 2012
File Transfer...
7/23/12 > Ottawa 10/9/12 > LA
Med's Done....
April 10th, 2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
October 9th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
CoPR issued Oct. 29, 2012 DM November 6th, 2012
LANDED..........
November 23rd, 2012
amikety said:
If you file Inland, she could also ask for a work permit at the end of stage 1 approval (you're approved to sponsor her).
In order to get a work permit you must file an application for the work permit with the permanent resident application and it will be granted and mailed to you at the end of stage 1. If I am not mistaken Portugal visa office is France and they are listed at 9 months approval plus 35 days for your sponsorship approx. 10 months. Inland processing times are running at about 14 months, 6 months for 1st stage and 8 months for 2nd stage.

gsize

May 2, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2009....denied Feb 2010.....appeal allowed (August 2012)..waiting for processing
Doc's Request.
04/04/2013
File Transfer...
30/01/2013
Med's Done....
04/2013 (second time)
Passport Req..
21/02, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
18/03/2014
LANDED..........
05/04/2014
amikety said:
Portugal is visa exempt, so your gf/wife would be able to "visit" you for six months. She can extend her stay inside Canada. She won't be able to work without a LMO or have healthcare until you're approved as her sponsor. If you file Inland, she could also ask for a work permit at the end of stage 1 approval (you're approved to sponsor her).

For more information, I suggest searching the forum for "inland versus Outland" "visa exempt visitor" and "extending visitor status." You can also read threads from any visa exempt country (UK and USA are two good options with multiple threads active) to get a better idea about extending her stay.

The thread pinned at the top of Family Class is very helpful too.

Edit: I'm assuming from your post she's a Portuguese citizen. If she's not, let us know where she holds her passport.

if i may add my 2 cents. getting a work permit in Canada is not a fast process. Last time I checked it takes close to 1 year. please correct me if Im wrong

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Do you mean finding a job or actually applying for a work permit?

As a visitor, she would have to apply 'outside' Canada, preferably at the border. CIC lists that as an option for USA visa exempt visitor/worker.

Actually finding a job that will hire me with a LMO has been a nightmare. I've probably complained about it enough to make ears bleed.

tommm

Star Member
Nov 18, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
isb
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2012
husband's immigration

i hope tmrw dey send me mi approval letter inshAlllahhhhh!!!!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Vicky7 said:
We will marry anyway but should I Marry her in B.C or in her Country?
Either will be fine.
But will she have to leave again and return or may she stay with me there? What is the fastest way to be with her?
She can enter Canada as a visitor (if she is a Portuguese citizen) and stay for 6 months (usually). One month before the 6 months are up, she can apply for an extension.
( If I sponsor her from B.C how long will be take and do I need a big income?
You can sponsor her from B.C. or while you are living overseas. If you sponsor her while you are living overseas, you will have to prove that you will go back to Canada to live. Because you have been out of Canada for so long, you may have trouble proving this, so the easiest route would be for you to move back to Canada and then send in the application. Even if she is visiting you in Canada, you can still apply 'outland', which is usually faster than 'inland' (which means she must be in Canada during processing).
There is no minimum income necessary to sponsor a spouse.
Does Vancouver B.C support gay marriage?
There should be no problem with this.
She also has a University degree.. does that help in everything?
I won't hurt. The visa officer will want to see that you two can support yourselves, so anything that shows she will be employable can be part of the application. People often submit a plan for their life together, stating where they will live, what jobs they hope to get, etc., so the degree can be part of this evidence. It is not necessary, though.