+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

4 days early citizenship application - please help

ashdal

Dec 1, 2009
Hello there,

I am a PR of Canada and applied for Citizenship in Dec 2007. I unknowingly made a big mistake to send in my application 4 days early thinking that the mail delivery will take approx 4 days. I took the citizenship test (Toronto) in September 2008. They asked for a long questionnaire which I sent to them in September 2008 as well. It has been 14 months since then and there is still no news. I called the call center and they said that it will be between 12-18 months since they received the questionnaire (March 2010). I would think that I passed the test but the call center did not give any information. My PR will expire in October 2010. I sent them letters asking for updates and if I need to send any additional documents but they never reply.

I will really appreciate if someone could shed some lights into my situation. What is the procedure here now? What should I do? Do I need to reapply? They never told me to reapply yet BTW. When could I possibly hear from them? I will really appreciate someone's assistance in this regard.

Thanks

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They told you it may take up to 18 months, but it has only been 14 months. What do you do? Wait another 4 months.

Your PR will not expire. Your PR card may, but you are still a PR and keep all your rights. You can also apply to renew your PR card while waiting if you wish. It will not have a negative effect.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you have to wait. For everybody applying for citizenship, make sure you have at least 1095 days on the day before you sign your application. Better give it a couple of more days than to apply early.

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
there's a link - the citizenship calculator
used to find out if you have lived in Canada long enough to apply for citizenship.

http://services3.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do?&lang=en

it helps a lot if used before applying for citizenship

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And to reiterate what Lyon said, they count the day before you signed your application. Mailing time, receipt, etc. are irrelevant, as long as the application is not stale-dated by the time it is received.

Remember, whenever you are about to embark on an important process: always read the instructions!