+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

1year PGWPP best option for getting PR

SL101

Apr 14, 2016
Hi! I am currently on my 1 year PGWPP and was wondering if its better to apply for PR through my fiancé or to apply for CEC on my own. I am concerned as I only have a 1 year permit.

Binabik

Star Member
Aug 15, 2017
Canada
Hard to tell with so little information. In general processing time under CEC tends to be shorter than family sponsorship, assuming that you are eligible and have enough points.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi! I am currently on my 1 year PGWPP and was wondering if its better to apply for PR through my fiancé or to apply for CEC on my own. I am concerned as I only have a 1 year permit.
Hi

"Fiance" is not a legal status. You can be sponsored by a spouse or common-law partner.

Which immigration stream to choose is entirely your decision.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
If you are eligible for both, the CEC is generally faster. However, you have not provided any info suggesting you would be eligible for either.

It is very difficult for a person with a 1 year PGWP to work for a full year in a skilled occupation. Even if you did, you would need to find a way to get a new work permit to be able to stay in Canada and continue working while you prepare a PR application. (Of course, you can leave and apply from your home country too).

Reactions: scylla

SL101

Apr 14, 2016
If you are eligible for both, the CEC is generally faster. However, you have not provided any info suggesting you would be eligible for either.

It is very difficult for a person with a 1 year PGWP to work for a full year in a skilled occupation. Even if you did, you would need to find a way to get a new work permit to be able to stay in Canada and continue working while you prepare a PR application. (Of course, you can leave and apply from your home country too).
So i started working immediately after graduating and my PGWP took around 4months to get processed giving me 4months of work before my year officially began. Started working in May, got my PGWP issued in Sept. Can i not apply for my CEC in May (giving me the 1year of full time work i need) and then apply for a bridging open work permit while its processing?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So i started working immediately after graduating and my PGWP took around 4months to get processed giving me 4months of work before my year officially began. Started working in May, got my PGWP issued in Sept. Can i not apply for my CEC in May (giving me the 1year of full time work i need) and then apply for a bridging open work permit while its processing?
Yes, you can do that, the work experience will count from the date you applied for the PGWP.

Reactions: HADDY

pactya

Mar 14, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

I had exactly the same situation.
I've already gotten my PR with no hassle.

Good luck!