+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

16 month of study but enrolled in a 2 year program? confused?

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
I really want to clear this confusion about the work permit students recieve after the complete their studies...I am enrolled in a 2 year diploma program, but the actual study time is 16 months because of the summer break..So I should get 3 years of PGWP after the completion of my program right?

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
Leon said:
Yes, you should.
yeah but isnt it confusing that they say on their website that they will only issue permits for the time the student have studied...I mean whats the truth, So a person is eligible for a 3 year permit even tho he studied for 16 month..weird..

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know that the study year is only 8 months and I am not 100% sure how they make the distinction between an 8 month program and a 1 year program that is really only 8 months but if you look at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op12-eng.pdf you will see that they mention an 8 month program always as a certificate program and more than an 8 month program as degree programs.

It may have something to do with how the program is advertised, as a 1 year program instead of an 8 month program but other peoples experience seems to be that if you enrol in a 2 year program, you get the credit for a 2 year program and get a post grad work permit for 3 years.

Soury

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, you will get 3 years work permit. I did the same study and got 3 years.

Just when you apply send them a copy of your transcript (to show them that you studied for 4 semesters) not your graduation letter.

icecool222

Aug 1, 2010
Soury said:
Yes, you will get 3 years work permit. I did the same study and got 3 years.

Just when you apply send them a copy of your transcript (to show them that you studied for 4 semesters) not your graduation letter.
cool bro, just a question, I dropped a course in my second semester and took it back in summers, will that be any problem?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
icecool222 said:
cool bro, just a question, I dropped a course in my second semester and took it back in summers, will that be any problem?
No, as long as you graduate successfully from the program it will be fine.