+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

12 month MBA degree in Canada

Dragon42

Feb 23, 2012
Hello everyone!

About myself: 28 yo, Russia, engineer's degree and Master of arts degree in Economics. Entered CFA and FRM programs (passed CFA 1and FRM 1) and will enter ACCA program this year(ACCA->CGA later ). I expect to complete them in 3 years before migration(except CFA cause of work experience)

Recently I decided to migrate to Canada through education. For that purpose, I'm going to appply for MBA degree in Canada in several years. However I have big concerns regarding tuition fees and a cost of living. And here are see 4 possible alternatives:

1. 2-years of high-quality MBA. As I know, for example, Schulich School of Business MBA tuition fees are about $60,000 + at least $20,000 cost of liviving for 2 years($80,000 in total). After graduation this 2 years MBA gives an opportunity to receive a 3 years work permit + find a really good job. But that's too much for me. I can't afford it in the near future. As I think now every $10,000 = 1 year of struggles to save the money.

2. 2-years of low-quality MBA. I guess it's possible to find MBA for $10,000 a year, so $40,000. That's looks like a achivable sum in several years. I can get 3 years work permit, but job opportunities are limited.

3. 1-year of high-quality MBA. I guess it costs about $40,000-50,000 and result in good job opportunities and 1 year work permit after graduation. With that as i understand almost impossible to get PR due to time limits.

4. 2-years some kind of degree. 3 years of work permit but I don't think that it add much to my job prospects.

So from my point of view the most optimal choice is number 2. Although the career will not be so good I'll get 3 years work permit and big chances to get PR.

Am I right? Is it almost impossible to get PR after 1 year of education? Do you know any successful stories when after 1 year people got permanent residence? Or maybe it's better to wait 3+2-3 years and collect sum for 2-years of high-quality MBA?

I willl be very grateful if you share your views or gives some advice.

Thanks!

ramzero

Champion Member
Aug 12, 2011
Karachi
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC ISB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-Sept-11
IELTS Request
Waived
Med's Request
Waiting
Interview........
Waived
Hello,

Why don't you go for some Post Graduate Diploma course?

One Year PGD lead you for One Year Work Permit.

Two Year or onwards PGD lead you for Three Year Work Permit.

Dragon42

Feb 23, 2012
Hello!

In my view, MBA provides more opportunities and add more useful skills and exerience. In addition, I think it will easier to explain to immigration officer why I want to study in Canada. So MBA is more useful and price for MBA and PGD can be the same.

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

1. Option 1

MBA of 2 year is important if you are considering co-op/internship. You can skip it, if not interested in networking/internship.

2. Option 2

Forget about MBA in $10,000/year. The minimum tuition is around $29,000 (for 18 months MBA) in Peter B. Gustavson School of Business, University of Victoria and it's a good business school. Even very low grade MBA schools like Vancouver Island University charges $34,000 for 18 month MBA.

3. Option 3.

With 1 year MBA, you will get a 3 years Post Graduate Work Permit (NOT 1 year). One year MBA is a very intensive program with around 55 to 59 credit hours, and it's good for those who are already well established in career/networking/skills. There is 'NO difference' between the content of 2 or 1 year MBA.

4. Option 4.

I believe it's NOT of much use to study any business program except MBA.

1. May not be a good idea to study a 1 year MBA (for an international student). With 2 years or 18 months course, you will get an internship/co-op which is extremely important in networking with possible job sources.
2. For top MBA, you need 620+ GMAT (minimum average). Simply, no chance exist below 600 (or 580 with exceptional qualification/grades/work experience/reference).

tiger007

Champion Member
enfield said:
Even very low grade MBA schools like Vancouver Island University charges $34,000 for 18 month MBA.

One year MBA is a very intensive program with around 55 to 59 credit hours, and it's good for those who are already well established in career/networking/skills. There is 'NO difference' between the content of 2 or 1 year MBA.
Hi Enfield,
As per Vancouver Island Univ. website, http://www.viu.ca/calendar/Business/mba.asp VIU MBA is 14 months (including 4 months internship) and +2 months if one pursues a 2 foundation course.
So this 14 months MBA too will give a 3 years work permit right? I mean MBA of any duration with 55-59 credit hours will give us a 3 years work permit right?

And how difficult and how long it usually takes for GMAT prep to score min 600?

enfield

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tiger007 said:
Hi Enfield,
As per Vancouver Island Univ. website, http://www.viu.ca/calendar/Business/mba.asp VIU MBA is 14 months (including 4 months internship) and +2 months if one pursues a 2 foundation course.
So this 14 months MBA too will give a 3 years work permit right? I mean MBA of any duration with 55-59 credit hours will give us a 3 years work permit right?

And how difficult and how long it usually takes for GMAT prep to score min 600?
Hi,

1. Yes.

Dragon42

Feb 23, 2012
enfield said:
3. Option 3.

With 1 year MBA, you will get a 3 years Post Graduate Work Permit (NOT 1 year). One year MBA is a very intensive program with around 55 to 59 credit hours, and it's good for those who are already well established in career/networking/skills. There is 'NO difference' between the content of 2 or 1 year MBA.
Hi, Enfield! Thank you for you reply!

Can you provide any credible source about 3 year work permit after 1 year MBA? Because accoring to this government site.

Post-graduation work permit program

The post-graduation work permit program is designed to provide graduating students with Canadian work experience. Students may work in Canada for up to three years after graduation.

Does the length of study in Canada impact on the length of the work permit?

Yes. The work permit cannot be valid longer than the length of time the student studied. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.

If you studied for less than eight months
you are not eligible for this program.
If you studied less than two years but more than eight months
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of time you studied (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months).
If you studied for two years or more
a work permit may be issued for three years.

So, as I understand form this 1 year of study permit civert in 1 year of work permit. Am I wrong here?

P.S. I've been looking for 1 year MBA with 55-59 credits but all 1-year that i've found are only 45 credits. Can you give a example of such program pls?

up stream

Feb 23, 2012
I am working hard on GMAT prep with 10 days remaining. will a score of 600 is enough for victoria. how difficult its to get admission in victoria?
I heard that evey year the committe receive 300+ application for 45 to 50 seats. What about your exp with application procedure. Some were i read that you got 580 in GMAT what about ur profile?
looking for your help!!!!!!!

yasirmajid

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Have you checked Queen University (Kingston, Ontario).. Very renowned for MBA program which is one year in length!

Y