+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

'1 year' certificate = 1 year PGWP?

immvp

Dec 16, 2016
Hello, I am in a weird situation.

I applied for the 1 year certificate in general studies, which I believe is a 2 semester program in which my plan is to study for 1 year, get a PGWP for 1 year, work for one year, and then apply to PR.
However, i found this segment here on the official government website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

more than eight months but less than two years
  • your PGWP may be valid for up to the same length as your study program (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for up to nine months)

What I am wondering if if the 1 year certificate will be able to get me a 1 year duration of PGWP, as I believe that is the duration you need in order to apply to PR successfully in the future.

If anyone can confirm or have any idea on how this works, I would very much appreciate it, thank you!

singh_b

Mar 19, 2017
Hello, I am in a weird situation.

I applied for the 1 year certificate in general studies, which I believe is a 2 semester program in which my plan is to study for 1 year, get a PGWP for 1 year, work for one year, and then apply to PR.
However, i found this segment here on the official government website.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

more than eight months but less than two years
  • your PGWP may be valid for up to the same length as your study program (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for up to nine months)

What I am wondering if if the 1 year certificate will be able to get me a 1 year duration of PGWP, as I believe that is the duration you need in order to apply to PR successfully in the future.

If anyone can confirm or have any idea on how this works, I would very much appreciate it, thank you!
Hey,

As you can see they have said that you "may" get pgwp of same duration as of study time period. Usually, it is of same time.

But I would suggest for more length of study program, as might not get job straight after studies or you might. Also, doing 2 years study will give you 3 years pgwp. Being on safer side is best to be honest.

Rest is upon you to decide, I wish you the best!