+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Recent content by dpenabill

  1. D

    citizenship applications stuck for too long - Those with AOR before May 2025 - Let's gather here and update

    To pursue Mandamus, lawyer-up. It is that simple. Commentary in this forum suggesting otherwise is, well, bad advice. Explanation: Most IRCC clients, most by a big margin, do not need the help of a lawyer when dealing with immigration or citizenship matters. But most immigration and...
  2. D

    Lost PR card and beiing asked humanitarian and compassionate considerations for residency requirement

    For clarification: You probably got it, no problem. But to be clear, I will clarify . . . The only dates of exit and dates of return that should be listed in the application, for the "time spent outside Canada" chart/table (question 5.5 in the paper form), are days the PR was physically...
  3. D

    Lost PR card and beiing asked humanitarian and compassionate considerations for residency requirement

    As discussed in previous post: it appears there is no actual RO compliance issue. As long as no 44(1) Report has been prepared, days in Canada after the PR card application was made count toward RO compliance. So there should be no real RO issue (even if there were concerns about presence in...
  4. D

    Lost PR card and beiing asked humanitarian and compassionate considerations for residency requirement

    . . There should be no RO compliance problem. As long as there are NO inadmissibility proceedings pending (there is no procedure underway attendant adjudicating a 44(1) Report for inadmissibility), days in Canada after submitting a PR card application continue to count toward RO compliance...
  5. D

    PR Renewal - Doubts and Questions

    I leave the logistical and mechanical questions for others . . . but I will disagree a bit with @CNP's characterization regarding the RO: On the contrary, the IRCC PR card guide's instructions are thorough and clear, and in regard to the Residency Obligation in particular, the instructions in...
  6. D

    Non-Routine Citizenship Applications (2024–2025) – Timelines

    All adult citizenship applications are referred to CSIS for a security background clearance. These are routine and done in batches (last I saw details these referrals were in batches of up to a hundred applicants). This is similar to the RCMP background clearance which is required for all adult...
  7. D

    Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

    Suspicion of Fraud . . . largely unspoken . . . in cessation case The suspicion of fraud underlying a lot of cessation cases is a very large elephant in a rather small room. While this deserves far more research and analysis than I have the time to do, which is why I have not addressed it in...
  8. D

    Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

    Even though @neonphoenixslayers (who has not openly been back to the forum since the day they joined the forum and posted their cessation query) provided a very good description of the situation (far better than the typical query here), there are still some unknowns, some uncertainties, and most...
  9. D

    Cessation of Status Case - Travelled Using Passport from Country of Origin to Third-party Country

    I will further address your situation in a thread in the Citizenship part of the forum, in a thread titled "Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship," which is specifically dedicated to the subject of PR-refugees (just PRs) facing cessation. As I say there, I am sorry to learn...
  10. D

    Refugee status cessation and PRs applying for citizenship

    Potential cessation of PR-refugee status despite no travel to home country: I cannot recall any particular cessation case against a PR-refugee who did not travel to their home country. However, I have long and often been reminding this forum that just obtaining or using a home country passport...
  11. D

    Applying citizenship, but I have a DUI.

    That sounds promising. Again, hoping you and your family have good luck and please keep the forum posted.
  12. D

    Applying citizenship, but I have a DUI.

    Hmmm . . . is that what the agent actually said, that the application will move to the "next step?" Was there any clear indication what the "next step" will be? The part about requesting the court record is consistent with long term practices, as I mentioned: That was to be expected. It is...
  13. D

    Applying citizenship, but I have a DUI.

    . In general, better to pose questions about qualifying for a grant of Canadian citizenship in the part of the forum specifically about citizenship. BUT for questions like this, regarding the impact of criminal charges, best to get advice from a reputable, competent Canadian immigration...
  14. D

    3 years tax returns filing?

    . Caution: For information about Canadian citizenship qualifications do not rely on the so-called tax information resource suggested (looks like spam) and linked by @alexjames3123. Also note that for a year that a tax return was filed, it does not matter whether the citizenship applicant was...
  15. D

    Question on 3 year of tax filing

    . Appears you are in the wrong venue. You reference an eligibility requirement to qualify for a grant of citizenship, what a Permanent Resident of Canada must do to become a Canadian citizen (only individuals are PRs; only individuals who are a PR can be granted Canadian citizenship). The...