+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study permit refused "you do not have significant family ties outside canada"

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
As long as you’re not married and with kids, the Canadian embassy will discriminate against you, even if you show strong financial capability, a long term job and lots of previous travel. Yes, it IS discrimination. It’s not weak family ties.
Discrimination is a strong word. IRCC's mandate stems from Department of Citizenship and Immigration Act.

"Fundamentally, the Department builds a stronger Canada by helping immigrants and refugees settle and fully integrate into Canadian society and the economy, and by encouraging and facilitating Canadian citizenship."

Given the current statistics, the department is delivering well on it's mandate but they also have a responsibility towards Canadians to screen and thoroughly vet temporary and permanent residents so not every applicant is going to be approved.

I would refrain from using the word "discrimination" and instead focus on choosing the right program and addressing concerns IRCC would raise. I'm not saying they don't make errors, I've seen several cases where it seems the agents have no idea what they are doing. Ultimately, since it's not a right to come to Canada, the onus always falls on the applicant.