+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal Sponsorship questions

May 13, 2024
Hello ,

I would appreciate some help on these few points :

I am a Canadian citizen living in quebec and would like to bring my German Fiance to live with me here. We're planning on getting married in June and would need some help planning .

1) Are religious marriage contracts valid to start a PR process ? If this religious marriage contract is written up in Germany , do I need to get it notarized or anything of the matter to use it in her PR application . What would you recommend we include with this ?

2) My wife can come to Canada on a visitor visa and the initiate and inland process here . I wanted to know , during the process , if her visa expires , what can be done ?

3) She would also like to work here , can she apply for an open work permit as soon as she applies for PR ? How long does it take to obtain it ?

4) at What stage of the process does she obtain her Provincial health card ?

5) Can we travel for short periods while the PR process is on-going ?

Thanks a lot for the help in advance !

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1) Not unless it's a legally valid civil marriage. It almost certainly isn't.
2) Extend the visa.
3) No, but she can apply after you get married, and after you apply and get the acknowledgement of receipt, and then will take a couple of months. It takes 2-6 weeks in most provinces to get the marriage certificate. So you might be looking at 4-8 months to get work permit, depending on some details.
4) After she becomes a PR. Note that because of quebec issues, very hard to say how long a quebec pr spousal sponsorship will take.
5) Short, yes.

Reactions: Naturgrl
May 13, 2024
1) Not unless it's a legally valid civil marriage. It almost certainly isn't.
2) Extend the visa.
3) No, but she can apply after you get married, and after you apply and get the acknowledgement of receipt, and then will take a couple of months. It takes 2-6 weeks in most provinces to get the marriage certificate. So you might be looking at 4-8 months to get work permit, depending on some details.
4) After she becomes a PR. Note that because of quebec issues, very hard to say how long a quebec pr spousal sponsorship will take.
5) Short, yes.
Hello ,

Thanks for the quick reply ! in other words when she comes here , we would have to somehow officialize the marriage first then proceed to the PR process once we get the certificate , otherwise we would have to get the certificate in Germany , is this correct ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello ,

Thanks for the quick reply ! in other words when she comes here , we would have to somehow officialize the marriage first then proceed to the PR process once we get the certificate , otherwise we would have to get the certificate in Germany , is this correct ?
It depends where you get legally married.