+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Legal Change of Name issue for the PR card renewal

anna_ON

May 7, 2024
I have a legal name issue for the PR card renewal. I changed my name abroad before I applied for PR status. My former name appeared in passport in brackets, and it appears on the PR card, although without the brackets. According to my citizenship country’s law, the former name stays in the passport for 7 years. Therefore, the former name does not appear in the new passport, issued after 10 years, and does not match the PR card anymore, which right now has ridiculously long name consisting of both new and former names.

For my PR card renewal (second now, the first one after five years still did not have the problem), I was required by CIC to provide a Legal Change of Name document from the province I reside in. I can not obtain such document, since I never changed my name in Canada. Moreover, my new name appears on photo IDs issued by the province both before and after I applied for PR status in Canada, so technically I have nothing to change even if I want to. I sent to CIC those photo IDs, the change of name document from abroad, and the letter explaining the situation. The reply I received today, was a “Final Letter”, stating the document from abroad is not acceptable, and I need to provide a document issued by the province within 30 days. I don’t know what to do next.

My daughter had the same situation with the last name, her case was processed by a different person, the change of name document from abroad was accepted, and the PR card was issued with the new name. Is it possible to appeal the decision by referring to my daughter’s case? Whom should I contact then for an appeal? As I see it, unless the processing officer responsible for my case receives the required document, which I am unable to obtain, they will not process it any further.

I also thought to apply for an amendment of the landing record/confirmation of PR documents, but according to CIC, they will only change it if it’s different from the data on the barcode in the passport used for PR application. Though, the former name appears in the brackets in my old passport, the barcode has both new and last names, therefore, I am not sure whether it would help. I also want to apply for citizenship, but I don’t want to drag this issue there as well, and want to resolve it at the PR card level. I am also hoping to resolve it without lawyers’ involvement.

What would be the next step for me to do?
Thanks very much for the time reading this post, and for advice.