+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working for Canadian Company Overseas

oltan

Jul 28, 2009
My friend has just opened a Canadian company and a branch in Egypt. We are two partners in the company and one of us needs to be staying in Egypt to manage the operation there however both of us newcomer to Canada and leaving in Quebec since June 2008. Can one of us stay in Egypt for more than six months a year without losing the permanent resident, as the company is Canadian company? If it is possible, the one will be leaving in Egypt will be able to apply to apply for the Canadian citizen after three year?
Thank you very much for the help,

djboom

Jul 26, 2009
The short answer is no
Canadian companies opened & maintained for the purpose of residing outside Canada & trying to maintain
residency doesn't work. The six month rule is no more, the rule now is you need to maintain 730 days (2 years) out of 5 residency to maintain PR status

Citizenship - with very few exceptions, is physical residency in Canada for 3 years out of the 4 immediately preceding the application

To clarify my above answer

Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, SOR/2002 – 227.
61(1) Subject to subsection (2), for the purposes of subparagraphs 28(2)(a)(iii) and (iv) of the Act and of

this section, a Canadian business is
(a) a corporation that is incorporated under the laws of Canada or of a province and that has an ongoing

operation in Canada;
(b) an enterprise, other than a corporation described in paragraph (a), that has an ongoing operation in Canada and
(i) that is capable of generating revenue and is carried on in anticipation of profit, and
(ii) in which a majority of voting or ownership interests is held by Canadian citizens, permanent residents, or

Canadian businesses as defined in this subsection; or
(c) an organization or enterprise created by the laws of Canada or a province.
(2) For greater certainty, a Canadian business does not include a business that serves primarily to allow a
permanent resident to comply with their residency obligation while residing outside Canada.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
if you wait until june 2010 then you will have 2 years of residence in CA.
If you then spend 6months in Canada out of every 12 months, then over the next two years, you will have another year of residency.

This will give you 3 years out of 4. Will this work?