+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Will I be eligible to work after applying for visa restoration Immediately?

akhali

Apr 7, 2024
Niagara
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
28-03-2023
Hello All,

Below is my scenario.

My spouse came to Canada couple of years back and completed her 2 years masters course in Dec-2023.
Me and kids came to Canada last year, I was on open work permit with visa expiration date as 31-Mar-2024.

Upon my spouse's completion of course, we all applied for visa extension in Jan-2024 and we received an acknowledgement letter which said I can continue to work till Jun-2024 or till a decision has been made on my work permit visa.

Now, earlier last week my visa (dependent open work permit) was rejected on 03-Apr-2024 and it said my visa also expired on 03-Apr-2024 and I have to stop working immediately. Which I did. But later in the week my spouse (primary applicant) and kids visa was approved.

Now we are re-submitting the visa again for Visa Restoration along with the supporting documents which the officer has asked.

My query is, If I submit the visa on 09-Mar-2024 can I resume my work from 10-mar-2024 or I have to wait until a decision is made on my application?
I need this information so that I can request my employer to hold my job for couple of days so that I can re-join. But without knowing the date on which I can resume work even they will also be not in the position to hold the job for me.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Abdul Khalid.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,

Below is my scenario.

My spouse came to Canada couple of years back and completed her 2 years masters course in Dec-2023.
Me and kids came to Canada last year, I was on open work permit with visa expiration date as 31-Mar-2024.

Upon my spouse's completion of course, we all applied for visa extension in Jan-2024 and we received an acknowledgement letter which said I can continue to work till Jun-2024 or till a decision has been made on my work permit visa.

Now, earlier last week my visa (dependent open work permit) was rejected on 03-Apr-2024 and it said my visa also expired on 03-Apr-2024 and I have to stop working immediately. Which I did. But later in the week my spouse (primary applicant) and kids visa was approved.

Now we are re-submitting the visa again for Visa Restoration along with the supporting documents which the officer has asked.

My query is, If I submit the visa on 09-Mar-2024 can I resume my work from 10-mar-2024 or I have to wait until a decision is made on my application?
I need this information so that I can request my employer to hold my job for couple of days so that I can re-join. But without knowing the date on which I can resume work even they will also be not in the position to hold the job for me.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Abdul Khalid.
Since it was refused and your permit expired March 31, you cannot work without an approved work permit. You are not applying for visa restoration but applying for a new work permit. Say applying March 10 but you cannot resume work until the permit is approved. So no you cannot start work the next day. Does spouse have job with 3 paystubs?

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

You have lost your status. You cannot work until a new work permit application has been submitted AND approved. You do not have "maintenance" or "implied" status.

It will likely be a lot longer than a couple of days.

akhali

Apr 7, 2024
Niagara
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
28-03-2023
You have lost your status. You cannot work until a new work permit application has been submitted AND approved. You do not have "maintenance" or "implied" status.

It will likely be a lot longer than a couple of days.
Thanks for the update taran.

I have re-submitted the application again today, as expected in the acknowledgement letter it's not mentioned that I can resume my work.

Regards,
Abdul Khalid.