+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor extension / re-enter ?

martinamw

Nov 21, 2007
Hi
I'm from Ireland and entered Canada last year (november) on my passport, allowing me a 6 month stay. I applied for a 3 month extension near the end of my 6 months and was approved, giving me until september. I then applied for another 3 month extension during the middle of august. Before the second extension was reviewed/processed I left Canada and returned to my home country (Ireland). I now need to enter Canada again.

I've heard that if you leave Canada while the extension is processing, it is not valid. Is this true? I can have this extension posted over to me, it will give me until Jan 2008.

I should be allowed simply enter again on my passport and get another 6 month stay. I've heard that the immigration officers don't like when people do this and could deny me.

Can anyone help me with this?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

martinamw said:
Hi
I'm from Ireland and entered Canada last year (november) on my passport, allowing me a 6 month stay. I applied for a 3 month extension near the end of my 6 months and was approved, giving me until september. I then applied for another 3 month extension during the middle of august. Before the second extension was reviewed/processed I left Canada and returned to my home country (Ireland). I now need to enter Canada again.

I've heard that if you leave Canada while the extension is processing, it is not valid. Is this true? I can have this extension posted over to me, it will give me until Jan 2008.

I should be allowed simply enter again on my passport and get another 6 month stay. I've heard that the immigration officers don't like when people do this and could deny me.

Once you leave, you status ends. If the IO feels that you are residing permanently in Canada or suspects that you are working/attending school, they will refuse. There is no guarantee for 6 months.

PMM

martinamw

Nov 21, 2007
Hi

OK
Thanks for that, another question I have is:

Am I allowed to say, to the IO, that I have been living in Canada (renting an apartment, so I can be close to my wife, she is from the US and I cannot go there, she comes to visit me).
My visa extension was called a temporary resident visa. Can I say to the IO that I plan on staying in the apartment for another 3 months until she is finished her education.