+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent! Valid Immigrant Visa(PR visa) on Cancelled Passport

gwyzzl

Aug 13, 2017
Hi all guys,
My wife and I was granted Immigrant Visa(PR visa) last year and we intend to land in Canada shortly. Because my wife's passport is going to expire, so she applied for a new one and the old one was stamped with cancelled, but the Immigrant Visa is still valid. The thing is if we can just take the old passport with valid Immigrant Visa and the new one to land in Canada or we have to transfer the Immigrant Visa to the new passport as well as get new COPR.
I found in the past there were many people facing the same issue as ours in the forum and someone said it's ok to just take the cancelled and new passport while others said have to transfer. Especially, even the replies to the same issue from different visa offices and government institutions are opposite.
So I just would like to know recently does anyone succeed to land in Canada holding the cancelled passport with valid Immigrant Visa and new passport? or is anyone rejected to enter Canada simply because of holding cancelled passport with valid Immigrant Visa and new passport.

Thanks a million!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You might as well talk to the airline staff in person. Ultimately, they are the people who decide to let you on board or not.

Harshit99

Feb 4, 2024
Hi all guys,
My wife and I was granted Immigrant Visa(PR visa) last year and we intend to land in Canada shortly. Because my wife's passport is going to expire, so she applied for a new one and the old one was stamped with cancelled, but the Immigrant Visa is still valid. The thing is if we can just take the old passport with valid Immigrant Visa and the new one to land in Canada or we have to transfer the Immigrant Visa to the new passport as well as get new COPR.
I found in the past there were many people facing the same issue as ours in the forum and someone said it's ok to just take the cancelled and new passport while others said have to transfer. Especially, even the replies to the same issue from different visa offices and government institutions are opposite.
So I just would like to know recently does anyone succeed to land in Canada holding the cancelled passport with valid Immigrant Visa and new passport? or is anyone rejected to enter Canada simply because of holding cancelled passport with valid Immigrant Visa and new passport.

Thanks a million!
Hello Sir , What happened in your case , i am in the same situation.