+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Urgent: New Comer's concerns regarding MSP

omanic

Aug 20, 2009
Hi

I need some urgent advice regarding the options which I can exercise. I have checked the internet but an unable to find suitable answers for the situation I'm in. Quick background is that my spouse and I got the PR VISA recently. I have come alone initially and taken my landing and am searching for a job. I have applied for my SIN and PR card. My wife intends to follow soon.

My questions are:
1. I intend to go back home and wrap things up, which will take approx a month out of Canada. I am not sure if I should apply for MSP right away as I might be gone for a period greater than 30 days and do not know how exactly that could limit my coverage under MSP.

2. I know it takes approx 3 months for MSP in BC and as it stands right now our income is zero. Will I still have to pay the premiums once the MSP commences?

3. My wife is 3-months pregnant and we are trying to consider the right time for her landing, so that it is convenient for her to fly in this condition and we are also able to get timely coverage under MSP for her medical needs. Is there some provision where the coverage can be provided earlier than the waiting period for cases like these?

4. If I were to apply for MSP in Aug, my coverage would start Nov1, can my wife be included as a spouse in that coverage itself, even if she has not taken her landing yet. Or can she be included once she takes landing in Sep, without delaying the coverage start period of Nov 1. Or will she need to apply separately and have to wait for 3-months like I have to?

These are important issues for me right now, and if any one has knowledge, do reply.

Thanks.

llmopez

Mar 21, 2010
yeah I'm in the same situation
we might need help from the masters though

I arrived yesterday, because my daughters passport was expiring so the validity of the visa was only until July, I had to ask for vacations at my job. The plan was to land ( which we did ) and return after two months, which is the minimum period where they can find my replacement and for me to train him/her.

According to the BC health care we have to apply for MSP as soon as we arrive, but at the same time we are leaving for more than a month. if so will we have to pay the premium for those three months we were away from Canada ? To us woud be better if we start the submition then return after three months which is the date the MSP with start with its coverage and start paying from then on, we would save the need of paying for the private one, since we would be away. but I don't know whether it could work like that

cheers

mediajunkie

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Typically in order to get healthcare, they count 3 months from the day you landed. But in addition to that they also want you to prove that you have lived in BC for 3 months. They will ask you for proof such as bank statements or utility bills from the last 3 months in YOUR name sent to a BC address. If you have that you should be eligible for MSP at the end of 3 months of your landing.

If you want earlier coverage you might have to buy your own private insurance to bridge the gap you have in healthcare coverage.

If your wife were to land after you her coverage would start after she lands. Since Canada provides healthcare coverage to every citizen there are no family or spousal plans.