+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Study Permit expiring before graduation ceremony

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
I'm an international student currently here in Canada and I am graduating on June 6, 2024 (the ceremony) but my Study permit expires April 10, 2024.

I'm told by my school advisors that I don't need to apply for a study permit extension since there is a 90 day grace period after expiry. Classes end April 19 and we should be getting our transcripts early May, which is when we can apply for PGWP.

I just took a look at PGWP processing times and it is saying 90 days. So I'm wondering how accurate the advice I got was? What happens if my PGWP still hasn't arrived before the 90 day grace period ends? Do I have implied status until it arrives?

If not, can I still apply for an extension now? I'm really anxious about all of this.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
I'm an international student currently here in Canada and I am graduating on June 6, 2024 (the ceremony) but my Study permit expires April 10, 2024.

I'm told by my school advisors that I don't need to apply for a study permit extension since there is a 90 day grace period after expiry. Classes end April 19 and we should be getting our transcripts early May, which is when we can apply for PGWP.

I just took a look at PGWP processing times and it is saying 90 days. So I'm wondering how accurate the advice I got was? What happens if my PGWP still hasn't arrived before the 90 day grace period ends? Do I have implied status until it arrives?

If not, can I still apply for an extension now? I'm really anxious about all of this.
Your post in 2020 indicates you are Permanent Resident applying for the Citizenship. Today you are international student, which is which?

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/marital-status-question.712588/

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
To answer your sisters question, as long as she applies within those 90days, she will be on implied status until decision on her pgwp is finalized
What about the gap between expiry (April 10) and end of classes (April 19). Won't that be an issue that there is no application in process or status during this time?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
What about the gap between expiry (April 10) and end of classes (April 19). Won't that be an issue that there is no application in process or status during this time?
Sorry I miss that part, in that case she needs study permit extension. 90 days window is from end of class to until receiving official transcripts and completion letter, in my opinion

Reactions: hello86

hello86

Feb 20, 2017
Sorry I miss that part, in that case she needs study permit extension. 90 days window is from end of class to until receiving official transcripts and completion letter, in my opinion
Thank you very much for your responses.