+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Spousal sponsorship

Grumpyto

May 11, 2024
I am currently working and living in Quebec but I am looking for a place to move to in Ontario. My wife and I got married in January, being away from each other is very painful. She just graduated in medecine in her country, but because of her country coming here with a visitor visa is very unlikely…she doesn’t speak french so me moving to Ontario is the best option for her to be able to adapt better. We are hiring a lawyer to do all of this but it’s expensive so I want to know I’m doing everything right and that our application is sucesssful first try.

1.Can I rent a room in Ontario as long as my name is on the lease until she gets here or I need an appartement ?
2.should I put my wife’s name on the lease ? What if it’s a room I’m renting can I put her name ?
3. Do I have to get my Ontario drivers license and license plates instead of Quebec?
4.What are the proof of address that they ask? The lease? My drivers license? And what about insurance?
5. We can’t provide any of the 2 documents showing we share spendings or bills /address because she has never been in Canada, will the letter of explanation be enough?

I’m sorry for the long post and I am extremely thankful to whoever takes the time to answer. I am really bad with all of this paper work and I’ve been extremely stressed out so any help is welcome.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am currently working and living in Quebec but I am looking for a place to move to in Ontario. My wife and I got married in January, being away from each other is very painful. She just graduated in medecine in her country, but because of her country coming here with a visitor visa is very unlikely…she doesn’t speak french so me moving to Ontario is the best option for her to be able to adapt better. We are hiring a lawyer to do all of this but it’s expensive so I want to know I’m doing everything right and that our application is sucesssful first try.

1.Can I rent a room in Ontario as long as my name is on the lease until she gets here or I need an appartement ?
2.should I put my wife’s name on the lease ? What if it’s a room I’m renting can I put her name ?
3. Do I have to get my Ontario drivers license and license plates instead of Quebec?
4.What are the proof of address that they ask? The lease? My drivers license? And what about insurance?
5. We can’t provide any of the 2 documents showing we share spendings or bills /address because she has never been in Canada, will the letter of explanation be enough?

I’m sorry for the long post and I am extremely thankful to whoever takes the time to answer. I am really bad with all of this paper work and I’ve been extremely stressed out so any help is welcome.
What is your status in Canada - PR, citizen - because posting under family sponsorship? If PR, then you are applying for her PR?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am a citizen …did I post in the wrong place? Im sorry if I did
So you want to sponsor her from outside Quebec? If so, you prove residency in Ontario (lease, health card, driver’s license, filing tax as Ontario resident). Her name doesn’t have to be on lease or utilities because she doesn’t live her.

Grumpyto

May 11, 2024
So you want to sponsor her from outside Quebec? If so, you prove residency in Ontario (lease, health card, driver’s license, filing tax as Ontario resident). Her name doesn’t have to be on lease or utilities because she doesn’t live her.
Okay , the lease I can do and I can change my drivers license but the health card you need to live in Ontario for 6 months before you can apply for it. I would like to sponsor the moment I move. Yes she lived outside Canada and she’s never been here. I am a Canadian citizen

BanCAQ

May 8, 2024
To be honest the best thing you did is move out of Quebec with their ridiculous waiting time of 28-34 months. Absolutely disgusting. If you are going to live in Ontario it's better to have an Ontario plates it's cheaper.

Grumpyto

May 11, 2024
To be honest the best thing you did is move out of Quebec with their ridiculous waiting time of 28-34 months. Absolutely disgusting. If you are going to live in Ontario it's better to have an Ontario plates it's cheaper.
Yeah exactly I hate it …it’s torture!! I’m gonna change my license plates and drivers license !!