+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR card before travel

ca548

Nov 14, 2014
Hello,

My PR card is valid till Aug/15/2024 and I met the residency obligation. I have a travel plan to India on Jul/01/2024 and will be back on Jul/28/2024. As per my understanding, I can enter back till the day the PR card is active. Is this correct? Do you think I need to apply for PR renewal right away or is it better to wait till I am back and apply then? I am worried that if I apply now and face any issues, then will mess up things.

Really appreciate your help, Thanks.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Yes, you can travel with your existing PR card up until its expiration date. However, I don't see any issue with applying for a new PR card now as you can hold on to the old one until you get the new one.

But you can also wait until you're back from your trip if you don't need to travel again soon after - current processing times are in the 60 days range.

Ultimately, it's up to you.

ca548

Nov 14, 2014
Yes, you can travel with your existing PR card up until its expiration date. However, I don't see any issue with applying for a new PR card now as you can hold on to the old one until you get the new one.

But you can also wait until you're back from your trip if you don't need to travel again soon after - current processing times are in the 60 days range.

Ultimately, it's up to you.
Thank you for the inputs. If somehow the renewal got delayed and the new card is issued while I am away, then will I be able to use my current card till its expiry? Or my current one will be cancelled when the new card is issued. I know that its far fetched, but curious to know.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for the inputs. If somehow the renewal got delayed and the new card is issued while I am away, then will I be able to use my current card till its expiry? Or my current one will be cancelled when the new card is issued. I know that its far fetched, but curious to know.
Acc to procedures, I believe the old ones are [supposed to be] cancelled sixty days after new one issued. Enough time to receive the new one and have it sent to you (or to return to Canada if needed).