+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about entering US with Canadian Citizenship (also has Green Card but..)

mickeyLee222

Jun 20, 2009
I am planning to enter US and visit my family there. However, I had my green card since 2002 but had not entered US since, I was doing some research and because I had passed my 6 months period therefore the green card became invalid.

Now, I am still waiting for my application to process to become a Canadian citizen so I am only holding a PRC right now. Will I be able to enter the US?
thanks

edit: im planning to take a coach bus to buffalo from toronto and fly from buffalo to Los Angeles. how will that work?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada PR has no weight in the US. What is your current citizenship? Would you normally need a visa to travel to the US? If yes, then you will need one now. If no, go ahead.

mickeyLee222

Jun 20, 2009
after a couple hours of research.. i realized I probably will have to apply for visitor visa... normally how long will that take?

khanm777

Star Member
Feb 19, 2009
A Visa is required and it may take around 3 months to get a visa since US will do a background and you may have to fill some extra form since your greencard is expired.

mickeyLee222

Jun 20, 2009
can i apply visa in another country and use it in canada to enter us??

apparently it would only take 1 day in hong kong US consulate to apply...

madraida

Sep 12, 2008
mickeyLee222 said:
after a couple hours of research.. i realized I probably will have to apply for visitor visa... normally how long will that take?
You can apply for your US visitor visa in Canada.
I applied for my B1/B2 visa (dual business/pleasure visitor visa) on Aug. 28 last year at the Vancouver consulate. They don't give the visa to you the same day. Instead, you are required to bring a stamped self-addressed envelope. I brought an Xpresspost envelope with me. I received my passport back with the US visa on Sept. 3. The date of issue on the US visa was Aug. 28. (So, technically, they issued the visa in one day.)

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
mickeyLee222 said:

You can apply in country A (visa for country B) and enter country B from country C but usually they will only let you apply for a visa in a country if you are citizen or resident there. If you are visiting honk kong, i don't know if they will let you apply for a visa to the US from hong kong. I know it does happen with some countries but don't know if all countries allow it.