+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Property owner not willing to issue rental receipt

atony8304

Jan 30, 2023
Canada
The property owner (Ontario, Canada) is disinclined to provide a rental receipt. The rent is being collected in cash, and the rationale provided is that issuing a receipt would lead to increased taxation for the owner. It has been articulated that the rental agreement was established at a discounted rate, benefiting both parties involved.

Given these circumstances, I am concerned about my inability to document rental expenses for tax filing purposes.

I seek clarification on whether this scenario presents any legal ramifications for me.

Last edited:

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
The property owner is disinclined to provide a rental receipt. The rent is being collected in cash, and the rationale provided is that issuing a receipt would lead to increased taxation for the owner. It has been articulated that the rental agreement was established at a discounted rate, benefiting both parties involved.

Given these circumstances, I am concerned about my inability to document rental expenses for tax filing purposes.

I seek clarification on whether this scenario presents any legal ramifications for me.
In which country is this taking place?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
The property owner (Ontario, Canada) is disinclined to provide a rental receipt. The rent is being collected in cash, and the rationale provided is that issuing a receipt would lead to increased taxation for the owner. It has been articulated that the rental agreement was established at a discounted rate, benefiting both parties involved.

What's the rent got to do with your tax filing? Are you self employed and use the premises as a work place?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

I’ve rented for a few years . I’ve never put in receipts . It asks for total rent paid and the landlords name & information
I assume you have a lease
The CRA then can cross reference the landlords tax return filed to see if that rent has been declared

atony8304

Jan 30, 2023
Canada
I’ve rented for a few years . I’ve never put in receipts . It asks for total rent paid and the landlords name & information
I assume you have a lease
The CRA then can cross reference the landlords tax return filed to see if that rent has been declared
Im not self employed and not using the premises as a work place. The landlord is requesting me to not declare the rent. Do I have any legal ramifications?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Im not self employed and not using the premises as a work place. The landlord is requesting me to not declare the rent. Do I have any legal ramifications?
I’m high income but I declare my rent paid to keep everyone honest . I get zero credit on my rent paid , but it’s then noted in the system WHO I paid the money to.

You can do what you want