+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Residency obligation while working full time

sparkle389

Feb 5, 2024
Hello!

I have a question, I have been employed full-time by a Canadian business for the past several months. I got this job while residing in Canada. However, I left Canada for 2 months during the holiday season. During this period, I continued working for the same Canadian business remotely, as my physical presence is not a necessity for my role—I can work either from the office or from home, and the company is flexible about this arrangement.

Now, as I am planning to return to Canada, I need to obtain my PRTD due to an issue with my PR card which necessitated a reapplication for its delivery. I have been a permanent resident for over a year.

My question is: Do the 2 months I spent working remotely for the Canadian business, while outside Canada, count towards fulfilling the "employed full-time by a Canadian business" criterion for my residency obligation under section A?

Thank you for your assistance.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My question is: Do the 2 months I spent working remotely for the Canadian business, while outside Canada, count towards fulfilling the "employed full-time by a Canadian business" criterion for my residency obligation under section A?

No. Not unless you were transferred to the company office in the country you went for 2 months.

Reactions: YVR123 and foodie69

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have been a permanent resident for over a year.
When you say 'over a year', do you mean just over a year ? Or much longer? Did you never get a PR card?

Reason it matters: if you've only been a PR for slightly over a year (you landed say sometime in 2023 or late 2022), then you are in compliance with your residency obligation simply because you've not yet been out of Canada more than 1095 days since landing (you couldn't have been, mathematically) - and therefore you do not need to 'count' your time with a Canadian employer anyway. No need to complicate things. (It's somewhat likely that trying to count that time would delay their consideration of your app).

If you've been a PR for much longer, the situation might be different - be specific.

Last edited: