+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PGWP + positive LMIA, claim 50 points

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
My 1 yr Canadian work experience will be completed in July 24. My employer has just filed dual purpose LMIA, in May 24. Should I create express entry profile immediately after i yr, and update it on getting positive LMIA, or wait for it. I am apprehensive as it takes around 4 months and my PGWP is expiring on 20.08.24. Pl. help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My 1 yr Canadian work experience will be completed in July 24. My employer has just filed dual purpose LMIA, in May 24. Should I create express entry profile immediately after i yr, and update it on getting positive LMIA, or wait for it. I am apprehensive as it takes around 4 months and my PGWP is expiring on 20.08.24. Pl. help.
Why would you not create an EE? Better to have your profile in the pool than not if you are eligible. So employer paid the fees?

Reactions: NewDelhi

CanadaRatan

Dec 12, 2023
Hi @vital350,

Thank you for clearly answering many doubts here. I want to bring up the point where you said "All LMIAs are prepared on a specific employee. So in any case they need to prepare a specific LMIA on you, and in any case you will need to wait when they will make it."

My case is that I have 3 months of PGWP left in the country, and I have already completed the CEC requirements of 1560 hours with an eligible matching NOC.

1) Currently, I am in a situation where I have found an LMIA job, they told me it is a pre-approved LMIA so they can transfer the LMIA to me. is this possible?

2) I was under the impression that I need to work for a certain period of months under the LMIA job only then can I use the LMIA certificate to get 50 points. However, the employer informed me that's not the case, he mentioned even if I work for one month with them I can still apply for a closed work permit. Is it true that you don't need to work for a certain period of months under the LMIA job to get the 50 points?

Thank you

Last edited:

NewDelhi

Apr 24, 2022
Why would you not create an EE? Better to have your profile in the pool than not if you are eligible. So employer paid the fees?
Thanks a lot. Yes my employer paid the fee. I too want to create EE profile immediately after completing 1 yr work in Canada. But my score will be only 470 at that time. A positive LMIA will give me 520. Don't you feel that creating profile with that low CRS numbers will be of no use.

In another thread someone has advised that if we amend any field, IRCC takes more time to approve and sometimes they consider it misinformation.

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
Hi @vital350,

Thank you for clearly answering many doubts here. I want to bring up the point where you said "All LMIAs are prepared on a specific employee. So in any case they need to prepare a specific LMIA on you, and in any case you will need to wait when they will make it."

My case is that I have 3 months of PGWP left in the country, and I have already completed the CEC requirements of 1560 hours with an eligible matching NOC.

1) Currently, I am in a situation where I have found an LMIA job, they told me it is a pre-approved LMIA so they can transfer the LMIA to me. is this possible?

2) I was under the impression that I need to work for a certain period of months under the LMIA job only then can I use the LMIA certificate to get 50 points. However, the employer informed me that's not the case, he mentioned even if I work for one month with them I can still apply for a closed work permit. Is it true that you don't need to work for a certain period of months under the LMIA job to get the 50 points?

Thank you
Not very sure about LMIA transfer, sounds like a scam honestly, however, I am not sure maybe there is something new.
Inside contract they should mention that you will work on them at least for 1 year, however it is just a requirement for contract, you can get PR and not work after - it will be fine.

StarO

Nov 6, 2023
It does not matter that you worked more than 1560 hours per year, they are not counting more than 1560 per year, you have to have 12 month. 484 pretty low nowadays, so don't wait - redo celpip/ielts.
From my experience on my portal, I think its 1560 that matters more than 12months. Once I logged in my start date and hours worked per week, I automatically got qualified for CEC.

vital350

Star Member
Dec 8, 2023
From my experience on my portal, I think its 1560 that matters more than 12months. Once I logged in my start date and hours worked per week, I automatically got qualified for CEC.
It is not because of hours. They have a known bug with year calculation. For example if you started to work at 30 October 2023 (or any other day in Oct), they will show that you have full year at 1 September 2024... that is just how their system works. But if you will have 1560 in 9-10 month for example you will not be eligible.

StarO

Nov 6, 2023
It is not because of hours. They have a known bug with year calculation. For example if you started to work at 30 October 2023 (or any other day in Oct), they will show that you have full year at 1 September 2024... that is just how their system works. But if you will have 1560 in 9-10 month for example you will not be eligible.
Oh Nice! many thanks for clarifying