+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Orphan Siblings Sponsorship

Jaykay31

May 2, 2024
"I'm a Canadian permanent resident and intend to sponsor my orphaned siblings. I have six siblings and plan to sponsor three of them, as I am now their guardian and responsible for them in every way. Two of them are under 18 years old, and one is 20 years old. I'm concerned about the 20-year-old girl, as I know I can sponsor dependents under 22, but will she be considered a dependent? Should I adopt her so she can be considered a dependent and then sponsor her?

I'm currently married, but my husband doesn't live with me in Canada. I'll be submitting his application later this year. According to my Notice of Assessment, my income over the past 12 months is $64,000, which meets the current LICO (Low-Income Cut-Off) requirements to sponsor five people, including myself. Please shed some light on this situation for me. Thank you."

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sorry for your loss. I would get a very good immigration and family lawyers for this process. Your siblings must be under 18 for sponsorship or adoption. For your 20 year old sister, you need legal advice with provincial and your country’s adoption processes. Some countries don’t allow foreign adoptions. Also, adoption doesn’t mean that your sister will be allowed to immigrate as that is a decision by IRCC. IRCC has to assess whether there is a genuine parent-child relationship.