+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

One way flight

elfut

Star Member
Jun 6, 2005
British Columbia
Hi

I am back in Singapore from Canada and going to Canada again in a few weeks. What are the chances of me getting refused entry to Canada if I have only one way ticket flight? The reason is that I couldn't find the usual 6 months flight (open fare) which I have been buying since 2004. I also have 2 Canadian bank accounts and my Canadian girlfriend share a bank account with me. I am a Singapore citizen who has been living in Canada for 1 year and 6 months in between 2004 till today. I didn't have a job in Canada or broke any immigration laws. All my visits are legal entry.

Can that prove the immigration officer that we will be able to buy another flight ticket back home to Singapore? It is just unfortunate that most the seats available for August and Sept are fully booked from Singapore. The only flights I could take was the 1 month fare. I will be staying in Canada for 6 months/below on a regualr basis like what I did since 2004 to see my gf. And we are planning to get married (well it's about time..) Not sure how hard/easy it is just to get married in Canada. You may respond on how the paper work and processing time for marriage in Canada. My gf and I have yet to look into that matter. We are a young couple age 26.

Thank you.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
I think you already know the answer to that - your best bet will be a return ticket.

However, since you have demonstated in the past that your visits to Canada have always been temporary, and you've never overstayed, then you can always take your chances to show up at the airport as a visa exempt visitor once again and if questioned about your one-way ticket, be prepared to give your explanation for this type of ticket, which should also include how you've been coming and going; and have your fingers crossed.

It is tough, but the choice is yours to make - certainty with a return ticket, or uncertainty with a one-way ticket.

elfut said:
Hi

I am back in Singapore from Canada and going to Canada again in a few weeks. What are the chances of me getting refused entry to Canada if I have only one way ticket flight? The reason is that I couldn't find the usual 6 months flight (open fare) which I have been buying since 2004. I also have 2 Canadian bank accounts and my Canadian girlfriend share a bank account with me. I am a Singapore citizen who has been living in Canada for 1 year and 6 months in between 2004 till today. I didn't have a job in Canada or broke any immigration laws. All my visits are legal entry.

Can that prove the immigration officer that we will be able to buy another flight ticket back home to Singapore? It is just unfortunate that most the seats available for August and Sept are fully booked from Singapore. The only flights I could take was the 1 month fare. I will be staying in Canada for 6 months/below on a regualr basis like what I did since 2004 to see my gf. And we are planning to get married (well it's about time..) Not sure how hard/easy it is just to get married in Canada. You may respond on how the paper work and processing time for marriage in Canada. My gf and I have yet to look into that matter. We are a young couple age 26.

Thank you.