+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

moved to state after applying canadian citizenship

kvap

Sep 1, 2009
Hi

Me and my wife are canadian PR. We recently finish our citizenship requirement and file for canadian citizenship. Due to bad economy I lost by business and meanwhile my wife got h1b on her Pharmacist states and start job in USA. SO as I am unemployed, we all with our children are living in state with my wife. We also change our driver's license to USA as we lived in here. Now we got citizenship exam. (My mailing address is still in toronto,canada) . I have following confusion.

1) Does it affect my citizenship as we are right now residing in USA.
2) if it affect than what should we do, so we can get canadian citizenship.

Appreciate in advance.
Thanks.
karan

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As far as I know, there is no requirement to be living in Canada at the time you get your citizenship. You just have to be ready to go to Canada with short notice to take the citizenship test and later to take the oath. You can postpone them but it's a pain in the neck and immigration will never schedule these things at your convenience. If you postpone, you may be waiting a year to get another date and the next date may not be good for you either.

At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/cit-address-faq01.asp you can see a question answered about address after applying for citizenship and they do give the option of having an overseas address so I don't think you will have a problem.