+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for pointers / advice

motleymick

Sep 4, 2009
I've been searching though stuff here and on the net and my eyes are going wacky.
So I'll just post our story and see if there is any answers,

Thanks for having a look.

About 2 1/2 years ago, meant a nice Chinese woman on line on language exchange. com , as I want to learn a little Mandarin as I live and work by Chinatown and deal with Chinese customers. So anyways, we hit it off as friends for some time. She was already in the process of coming to Canada with a work visa for a family in B.C.

I asked her to come to Ottawa and hang out for the summer before going back to B.C. to be a live in care taker. We'll she came here and we hit it right off. Then we got a little worried that she didn't go to B.C. to work ( this is a few months later ) she has talked to the people there and we're happy for her and said not to worry about working there. She's been living with me and I take care of her. So I married her here in Ottawa hoping that would make things safer for her / us. And YES, we are crazy about each other, it's kinda cool :) Been married one year.

Someone at Immigration I know ( an IT guy ) said we don't need to do the sponsor thing ( that we were looking into ) as she's here and we are married. She's been offered a few good jobs, but fall apart because of no SIN #. and she wants to work, she was a teacher in China. English is great etc...

We been to Immigration Canada here in town, three times and had to go, open 9am to 12pm and it's always packed. So we'll keep on pushing, just thought in the meantime after finding this group, someone may know the right steps, just so we can get moving ahead, as there so much info to read on the net and Gov sites we're not sure what direction to take or how to go about Canadian Citizenship.

If any questions please feel free to ask and thanks for your help.

P.S. sorry for the long story, to try to make things a little clearer to understand.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sheesh, don't believe IT guys from immigration. You do have to sponsor her. When you do, she will get permanent residency, a SIN (if she applies for it), access to health care etc. All the rights of a legal resident of Canada.

Currently, she is only married to a Canadian which gives her zero rights in Canada without being sponsored. Having had a live-in caregiver visa probably allows her to stay in Canada until it expires even though she never started that job but she is not allowed to take any other job without applying for a change of work permit.