+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Looking for advice on canadian immigration from USA

jeffreydean1

Feb 7, 2006
Connecticut
Any help would be monumentaly appreciated.

I'm a United States resident, lived my entire life in Connecticut. I've been visiting Canada for 6 years now, and I've had 2 very good relationships with people up there, most of my friends are also Canadian residents. My current relationship has gotten very serious, and we are thinking of ways for me to immigrate and even about having kids. As easy as this may seem, there are some complications that make this more difficult than it may seem. First off she's married and for reasons I don't wish to disclose here, getting a divorce is not an option in the immediate future. (EDIT: no, she's not cheating, he knows about us and is fine with it, trust me, everything's on the level here)

I've taken the eligibility test for the perminant residence skilled worker visa and I barely make it but I pass. Specifics about me that apply to my immigration follow:

- I am 24 years old
- I have a Bachelors of Science in Computer Science from Franklin Pierce College
- I have 2 years full-time experience as a webmaster/coder/graphic design guy
- I have 4 years part-time experience previous to that doing computer network maintence at my school.
- I have my own reliable vehicle
- I can speak and read basic French and am very well versed in English
- I have no known relatives in Canada, although about 4 generations back I know we immigrated to the states from Newfoundland

If I am able to move to canada and look for work, I have a guarenteed apartment to live in at Kitchener, Ontario for as long as I want and need to get on my feet. These folks are willing to sponsor me if thats possible and doesnt cost too much money.

Unfortunatly for me, and the main reason I'm asking questions here, is that I have no means to save up the required $10,000 in the immediate future unless I get luck and hit the lottery. Car payments, rent payments, and the like are killing me. I also dont have a passport, I travel to Canada with my drivers liscence and birth certificate.

So I suppose my questions are:

Is a passport required before applying for perminant residence?

Is there ANY way around the 10,000 dollar requirement for applying for residence due to te fact that I have guarenteed room and board for as long as I need?

If my girlfriend gets pregnant and has a child by me, will that help or hinder or just not effect the immigration case?

Any other helpful information you could give me?

I love your country and simply can't wait to call it my home!

jeffreydean1

Feb 7, 2006
Connecticut
Oh, also, realisticly, how long will the wait be from submitting the initial paperwork and actually getting the visa and being able to work? And what would the approx. total fees for application be?

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:) The only way to get around it..is to get an employer who will guarantee you a job but he has to first be able to prove that no Canadian can do the job or none are available in his area.

:) If you got married, but that is out of the question you say

:( No one can sponsor you, you have passed the age limit.

:( So Unless you have the 10,000can..she may as well move in with you because you will never get accepted.

catocan

Oct 25, 2005
If you're able to make 67 point, you're half way there. It's going to take a while. maybe 1-2 years for you to get the visa approved. They won't ask proof of your assets until the end of the process so you should have plenty of time to accumulate the minimum. In the meantime, just put down at least the minimum (or what you think you might have) on the application.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:) That is not sound advice because at the moment he doesnt seem to have the necessary means to get 10k in 2 yrs. Its a large sum and depending on his salary plus his living expenses, maybe he cant.

:) If I remember correctly he said he didn't have any and you cannot put down just any thing. When you apply you must send in a bank statement to prove it because by chance it doesn't take as long as you say and he hasn't the money, he is in a dire state as he would have LIED and that doesn't go well with immigration.

:) Having the 67 points isn't the halfway mark. There are plenty of other things that has to be done to make yourself appealing to be eligible to become an interesting candidate that Canada would appreciate to have you become a PR. It isn't as simple as you make it sound.

:roll: You never write what " you think you might have" because it isn't the truth and "thinking you might" isn't a proper way to go about it. He either finds the money through the family or friends or borrows it and unless he is absolutely sure he has it, it is not a wise thing to fill out the application, lie about it , then you dont have it..cant proceed, well, you have just lost the initial fee you paid.

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
You need to pass with enough points. You need to have a passport. You need to have $10k. There is no way around any of that.

If an employer sponsored you the waiting time can be reduced otherwise you should expect 3 years+

The only way around the $10k is if your Canadian spouse was sponsoring you. As you say marriage is out at present, you're stuck with that.

Actually it is pretty clear cut and simply Jeffrey. That you don't like the answers, doesn't change the facts. Sorry.