+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Joining my spouse in canada sooner

shilohq

Mar 31, 2024
(A lot of questions at the end sorry) So I’ve applied for Family Sponsorship from Outside Canada and already received the AOR (I think). The website says I can be there sooner if I apply for a visitor visa and then apply for an open work permit once I’m in Canada. My question is since I’m a US citizen, do I still have to apply for a visitor visa first since I’m visa-exempt? Or can I get in with my passport and still apply for the open work permit? Will I still have to convince them that I’m gonna leave at some point? Thanks for any experiences or advice!!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
(A lot of questions at the end sorry) So I’ve applied for Family Sponsorship from Outside Canada and already received the AOR (I think). The website says I can be there sooner if I apply for a visitor visa and then apply for an open work permit once I’m in Canada. My question is since I’m a US citizen, do I still have to apply for a visitor visa first since I’m visa-exempt? Or can I get in with my passport and still apply for the open work permit? Will I still have to convince them that I’m gonna leave at some point? Thanks for any experiences or advice!!
You can’t apply for a visitor visa since you’re an American. You’re still processed as a temporary visitor . That meaning you should arrive like a visitor would arrive …aka not with a boat load of your belongings
You arrive with all your early possession's is an excellent way in getting denied
Being visa exempt doesn’t waive that

You’d only arrive with all your belongings once you’re a PR. Until that day comes , you’re a visitor