+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorced

Rukhan

Jun 19, 2017
hi,
I used to be married and we have a son.
Now i am divorced.
The question is:
Do i still require proof of funds for 3 people or for myself only in order to be able to apply to express entry.

Thanks.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your ex isn't a dependent anymore.

Whether your son is a dependent or not depends whether you still have legal parental rights towards the child or not.

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi,
I used to be married and we have a son.
Now i am divorced.
The question is:
Do i still require proof of funds for 3 people or for myself only in order to be able to apply to express entry.

Thanks.
You don't need proof of funds for 3 people. Only for yourself and accompanying members (in case your son is accompanying you)..

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need proof of funds for 3 people. Only for yourself and accompanying members (in case your son is accompanying you)..
This isn't true.

The principal applicant is still required to show proof of funds for non-accompanying members as long as they're dependents, so a married applicant with a non-accompanying spouse and child would have to show funds for 3 people.

farazafzal

Aug 20, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This isn't true.

The principal applicant is still required to show proof of funds for non-accompanying members as long as they're dependents, so a married applicant with a non-accompanying spouse and child would have to show funds for 3 people.
Wow ! Noted !
I didn't know that or say my understanding was not correct at all. Thanks for the correction !!

nbt11

Star Member
May 24, 2017
India
Hello,
Posting this on behalf of a friend (India)..

She got married and they got separated in a short time (matter of months), no legal divorce yet, no kids.
Is she eligible to apply for FSW/EE?
What additional documentation is needed for her to submit? Is the marriage certificate and the divorce certificate necessary? Getting divorced is mandatory or is it okay to get an affidavit kind of from the lawyer for separation?
POF should be as equal as the single applicant? And can she get married again "if" possible, in Canada?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.

raj2017

May 22, 2017
Hello,
Posting this on behalf of a friend (India)..

She got married and they got separated in a short time (matter of months), no legal divorce yet, no kids.
Is she eligible to apply for FSW/EE?
What additional documentation is needed for her to submit? Is the marriage certificate and the divorce certificate necessary? Getting divorced is mandatory or is it okay to get an affidavit kind of from the lawyer for separation?
POF should be as equal as the single applicant? And can she get married again "if" possible, in Canada?

Appreciate your help.
Thanks in advance.
few questions had she registered her marriage ? if she had then divorce decree is compulsory, but if she hasn't then basically she is not married in the eye of canadian law, (the best i know) and she can start her process as a unmarried candidate, and yes she can get married again in Canada

nbt11

Star Member
May 24, 2017
India
few questions had she registered her marriage ? if she had then divorce decree is compulsory, but if she hasn't then basically she is not married in the eye of canadian law, (the best i know) and she can start her process as a unmarried candidate, and yes she can get married again in Canada
Thank you @raj2017.
No she hasn't registered it. When i asked she said it isn't mandatory in india now? i don't know.
But, good to hear. So, she has no need to even get the legal separation as such?

raj2017

May 22, 2017
Thank you @raj2017.
No she hasn't registered it. When i asked she said it isn't mandatory in india now? i don't know.
But, good to hear. So, she has no need to even get the legal separation as such?[/QUOTE
dont get me wrong she has to get legal divorce in india, however, all i am saying is she doesn't need to do that for putting up her file and getting PR, as per indian law for Hindu Saptapadi is considered as a legal marriage however this practise is unknown to western countries. since her marriage wasn't registered there may be no name of her husband on any legal documents like passport, bank statement and other government id papers and hence she is good to go

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
To make it clear for the question in the post, you will need to show funds for 2 people, you and your son. I got divorced and my son is not accompanying, yet cic still listed him as a dependent in my application even though he lives with his mother in another country. I also had to get her to do his medical after a long struggle.
Also, you will need to show one of 2 things, either a divorce certificate, or a legal separation agreement. Separation without 1 of those 2 things will lead to cic requesting your ex to do her medials and police certificates same as you, and you will need to show funds for 3 people.
Good luck.

Aashir

Jun 30, 2018
I am an Indian working woman aged 36. I am divorced with a son aged 6 years who is in my custody since birth. I have divorce certificate and trying to obtain custody certificate from a competent court of law which is time consuming. What all documents I need to file for EOI for me and my son. Can I submit sworn affidavit in place of custody certificate and if so please let me have the format of the same.

Last edited: