+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Citizenship for Wife and Child

Aug 25, 2006
Hi All,
I tried to search the forum for an answer to my question but could not find.
I am PR in Ontario for last 13 months along with my wife and 7 year old son.But due to difficulty in adjusting to the weather and cultural differences, my wife wants to move back to my home country along with my son.However, i would continue to stay here and get my citizenship.
By my becoming citizen,
1)Can I apply for citizenship for my son and wife later when they are ready to join me?( or Do i have to apply for their PR again)
2)Can I claim CCTB while my son is out of Canada?

My Idea finally is to have my son's higher education in Canada and settle down here in Canada.

Please clarify my doubts .

Regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rajesh_temburni said:
Hi All,
I tried to search the forum for an answer to my question but could not find.
I am PR in Ontario for last 13 months along with my wife and 7 year old son.But due to difficulty in adjusting to the weather and cultural differences, my wife wants to move back to my home country along with my son.However, i would continue to stay here and get my citizenship.
By my becoming citizen,
1)Can I apply for citizenship for my son and wife later when they are ready to join me?( or Do i have to apply for their PR again)
2)Can I claim CCTB while my son is out of Canada?

My Idea finally is to have my son's higher education in Canada and settle down here in Canada.

Please clarify my doubts .

Regards
1. No, your wife has to meet the residency requirements for citizenship, 3 years physical residency. If your son is in Canada, he can be included in your citizenship application, he doesn't require 3 years of residency.
2. Of course not, your son has to be resident in Canada to claim the CCTB.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rajesh_temburni said:
By my becoming citizen,
Like PMM said, you can apply for your son when you apply for yourself but not for your wife. If she loses her PR, you can apply to sponsor her again. However, if she can not live in Canada now due to weather and cultural differences, what makes you think she will ever be ready to join you? The weather and culture in Canada is unlikely to change very much in the next few years and she is unlikely to change either if she's living back in old country. Maybe you should consider settling somewhere your wife wants to live.

Aug 25, 2006
Thank you Very Much PMM and Leon for the replies.
I can Plan now for our smooth transition to become Canadian Citizens. I hope a course of time and a few visits later she gets used to this place which normally happens to any newcomer.