+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

citizenship application - is it before time?

elifkitapci

Jul 20, 2009
Hi;

I have applied for my PR and am still waiting for it. I want to apply for my citizenship right after I receive my PR because I lived in Canada for the past 9 years. I went to university and have been working since graduation here in Canada. I know it says that only a year that you spent before PR application counts towards your days for citizenship. I was wondering since half of 9 years is 4,5 and it's way more than 3 years, could I go ahead and apply for my citizenship?

Kind regards;

Elif

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

elifkitapci said:
Hi;

I have applied for my PR and am still waiting for it. I want to apply for my citizenship right after I receive my PR because I lived in Canada for the past 9 years. I went to university and have been working since graduation here in Canada. I know it says that only a year that you spent before PR application counts towards your days for citizenship. I was wondering since half of 9 years is 4,5 and it's way more than 3 years, could I go ahead and apply for my citizenship?

Kind regards;

No, you can only count 2 years at ½ time, so you would have to reside for an additional 2 years after become a PR before you could apply.

PMM

Elif

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only the last 4 years count and so if you count 50% of the last 4 years, that is only 2 years. To get the 3 years required, you can have 2 years from before you get PR (counts as 1 year) and 2 years as PR.

That is if you never leave Canada, if you go away on vacations, you will be delayed by the amount of vacation time.