+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cdn Citizen but US Perm Resident -- Can I drive rental car into Canada?

michy44

Jul 8, 2007
I know that the Canadian Import Law prohibits Canadian citizens from driving US-owned rental cars into Canada. But what about Canadian citizens who are permanent residents of the US? I would like to visit Toronto by flying to Buffalo and renting a car to go to and come back from Toronto (both because I don't need a passport to drive across and because it's cheaper than flying to Toronto directly). Am I allowed to do this?

Thanks in advance!
- Mitch

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

michy44 said:
I know that the Canadian Import Law prohibits Canadian citizens from driving US-owned rental cars into Canada. But what about Canadian citizens who are permanent residents of the US? I would like to visit Toronto by flying to Buffalo and renting a car to go to and come back from Toronto (both because I don't need a passport to drive across and because it's cheaper than flying to Toronto directly). Am I allowed to do this?

Thanks in advance!
- Mitch
As long as you can show that you have a Green Card for the US, you will be fine.

PMM

michy44

Jul 8, 2007
Thanks, PMM. That's reassuring and makes sense. But as always, I am nervous about running into the uninformed customs agent at the border. The only mention I found online about this (http://www.nationalcar.com/itemDetails.do?HelpItemID=ONE) specifically says that Canadian *citizens* (not *residents*) are prohibited from bringing US rental cars into Canada. Do you know of any documentation that I could use to back up what you said?

Thanks again,
- Mitch