+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I work as a dependant of a student?

Jan 16, 2008
I will be accompanying my unmarried partner as a dependant to Canada. We haven't decided yet which college or location but my partner wants to do a course in Digital Animation. Will I be allowed to work full-time while he studies? I know if he wants to work, his college needs to be on the list of approved colleges and he can only do so after 6 months. But as a dependant will I have to wait for 6 months as well?
If his college is not on this list, will I still be granted permission to work?

Also, what's is the best location to study Design and Animation. My partner would like the opportunity to work part-time in his own field while studying so he can gain experience.

Thank you all for any help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lovliebutterfly said:
I will be accompanying my unmarried partner as a dependant to Canada. We haven't decided yet which college or location but my partner wants to do a course in Digital Animation. Will I be allowed to work full-time while he studies? I know if he wants to work, his college needs to be on the list of approved colleges and he can only do so after 6 months. But as a dependant will I have to wait for 6 months as well?
If his college is not on this list, will I still be granted permission to work?

Also, what's is the best location to study Design and Animation. My partner would like the opportunity to work part-time in his own field while studying so he can gain experience.

Thank you all for any help.
The school would have to meet the following criteria before you would be eligible to work. If it meets it, then there is not waiting period.

B. Spouses or common-law partners of foreign students, C42
Note: The provisions outlined for C42 and C43 only apply to students engaged in full-time studies at a
Canadian university, community college, CEGEP, publicly funded trade/technical school or at a
private institution authorized by provincial statute to confer degrees.

Spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign students are allowed to accept employment
in the general labour market without the need for HRSDC confirmation. This exemption is
intended for spouses who are not, themselves, full-time students.
Eligibility
Applicants must provide evidence that they are:
• the spouse or common-law partner of a holder of a study permit who is attending full-time a
post-secondary institution, which is a also a publicly-funded degree or diploma-granting
institution (as noted above); or
• the spouse or common-law partner of a person who has a valid work permit to work at a job
related to their course of study, after graduation (under CEC C43).
Spouses or common-law partners of full-time students are eligible for open or open/restricted
work permits, depending on whether or not a medical examination has been passed. There is no
need for an offer of employment before issuing a work permit.

PMM

Jan 16, 2008
Thank you PMM for repying.
You said
"Spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign students are allowed to accept employment
in the general labour market without the need for HRSDC confirmation. "
What is meant by certain? Is this the students who are attending those approved colleges? Or students of certain countries?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lovliebutterfly said:
Thank you PMM for repying.
You said
"Spouses or common-law partners of certain foreign students are allowed to accept employment
in the general labour market without the need for HRSDC confirmation. "
What is meant by certain? Is this the students who are attending those approved colleges? Or students of certain countries?
spouses and c/law partners of persons attending those approved colleges.

PMM