10-02-2007
Med's Request
03-03-2012
Med's Done....
15-03-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-20012
Hi guys!

I will like to know how much it cost to get a Canadian driving license. And secondly , can I exchange my Swedish license?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Neyo said:
Hi guys!

I will like to know how much it cost to get a Canadian driving license. And secondly , can I exchange my Swedish license?
1. Around $50 depending on the province.
2. Depends on the province, you have to search, Ontario, BC and Alberta there is no exchange for Sweden

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you come from a country with no agreement for exchange, you will have to take the test, it's not a big deal. Before you leave Sweden, get your license translated by a certified translator (never know how easy or hard it may be to find one in Canada). Make sure it shows the date where your license was first issued or get the police to give you some kind of statement for how long you have been driving. Most provinces now have graduated licensing which means they may not let you take the test right away unless you can prove you already have a license, that's what you need the translation for. They also may not give you a full license unless you can prove how long you've been driving.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Graduated licensing rules depend on the province. In AB the only differences between a GDL license and a full license are that you are not allowed any alcohol, you lose your license at half the demerit points of a full one and you can not upgrade to a taxi, truck or bus license.

A foreigner that can not prove that they had a license before would in AB be subject to the same rules as a person who never had a license, that is, they would need to start by taking the written test, get a learners permit and then need to wait a year until they get to take the road test for a GDL license. On a learners permit, you may only drive with another adult who has a full license and I believe you may also not drive at night. Having passed the road test, they would get the GDL license and then would need to wait two years before taking an advanced road test to get a full license.

If they can prove that they had a license but not how long, they would be allowed to take the GDL road test right away instead of waiting a year. If they could prove that they had their license for a while, they would be allowed to take the advanced road test right away and get a full license.

If they come from a country that has an exchange agreement with the province, then of course they don't have to take any test, they just exchange their license for a Canadian one.

Neyo

Star Member
May 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2006
AOR Received.
10-02-2007
Med's Request
03-03-2012
Med's Done....
15-03-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-20012
Thank so much guys, I appreciate your response. I have had the license since 2005. I will take all the advice into consideration

cdarroch

Star Member
Jul 15, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/02/10
Doc's Request.
29/07/10
Med's Done....
29/10/09
I'm curious as to your outcome - my girlfriend has been fully licensed in Panama for over 15 years, and will need an Ontario license soon. It would be completely ridiculous if she had to go through the graduated licensing thing... how did it come out for you?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
cdarroch said:
I'm curious as to your outcome - my girlfriend has been fully licensed in Panama for over 15 years, and will need an Ontario license soon. It would be completely ridiculous if she had to go through the graduated licensing thing... how did it come out for you?
The thing is, she has to be able to prove it. Anybody could come and say they are already licensed in another country so that is why she needs to provide them with her drivers license. Since the license is probably not in English, for all they know she is handing them a Panamanian library card so that is why they need it translated. If the license doesn't indicate how long she's been driving, she will need to get something to show that too because it would be unfair if she is a new driver to give her a full license while people who are new drivers in Canada need to go through the graduated licensing system.

You can find some info on what she has to do here: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/OutOfCountryDrivers.aspx

cdarroch

Star Member
Jul 15, 2009
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05/02/10
Doc's Request.
29/07/10
Med's Done....
29/10/09
Thank you!
I wasn't sure if that was the only requirement or not; I've found some conflicting information. The MTO website suggests having it translated at the Panamanian Embassy in Canada, so I guess that's what we'll do.
cheers!

Cocacola

Jun 18, 2009
No you cannot exhange it to a canadian, but you can get´an international drivers licence from "Motormännens riksförbund", that should be valid for at least a year.
I used my drivers lincence when I went to alberta and stayed appr 6 months and bought a car, registered it and got an insurance. No problem at all.
But my father who lives in Alberta and has taken all classes says its much easier than in Sweden.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it's not a big deal. In AB you can get the drivers handbook at any registry, you study it and then you can go in and take the test any time. You can take it on their computer or on paper if you prefer. They will do your vision test right there as well as take your pictures for your learners license if you pass. If you fail, you can come take it again as soon as the next day. If you have a foreign license with a translation and you have handed it in and they have said it's ok for you to take the road test, you can make an appointment at the registry to do that. You can bring your own car or some of them give you an option to rent one. You can take the test on an automatic. If you are only going for the simple road test for a GDL license, it's very easy. Just don't make any sudden lane changes, use your mirrors, shoulder check and use your blinkers and you will be fine. I never took the advanced road test but it's probably a bit harder.

Neyo

Star Member
May 4, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-10-2006
AOR Received.
10-02-2007
Med's Request
03-03-2012
Med's Done....
15-03-2012
LANDED..........
25-12-20012
Thanks guys.

@ cocacola, tack !

Mujibzazai121

Dec 1, 2023
Hi guys!

I will like to know how much it cost to get a Canadian driving license. And secondly , can I exchange my UK FULL license?